1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008/09 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Sep 17, 2008.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I respect Beefs opinions, we just disagree on a few things. Mark, not so much and I don't think I'm alone on that one.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Interesting. I'd say no.....useful player with a great organization, but not a Hall of Famer - he's shared in a couple of Jennings Trophies, but Brian Hayward won three of those and he ain't getting in either.

I have a real problem with fringe goalies (any fringe players, actually) getting Hall consideration as long as a guy like Lorne Chabot remains on the outside looking in - 2.02 career GAA and 71 shutouts, not to mention two Stanley Cups. But hey! Let's put Clark Gillies in! YEAH!!! ::)

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That is why people shouldn't get to wrapped up in the Hall of Sham. Gil Stein, Gil fucking Stein.

4. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Stein was removed though, was he not? He's on the same scrap pile as Al Eagleson.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yes, at least they threw Stein out. The Hall, unfortunately, is still home to the unworthy likes of Bruce Norris, Harold Ballard, Bunny Ahearne, Bill Jennings and John Ziegler, among others.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

[​IMG]

Lightning are going to hold an open meeting next Monday, Q&A session with Koules, Tocchet and Lawton.

Hmmm, no Vinny in the promo photo?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If the plan doesn't start with new ownership, they're fucked

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. Complete screwballs at the top in Tampa.

Did the Whalercanes thank you for Jussi Jokinen?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I and our beat writer were wondering the same thing the other night.

Loved that guy when he was here.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I really liked the deal. Basically, the Whalercanes offered Wade Brookbank, a nice kid who just didn't have a role with the team, a defenseman who was both a last-minute signing and pretty much a bust and a mid-round draft pick.

Funny how Jokinen was considered so easily expendable by the circus group which masquerades as management in Tampa. And again, thanks.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

What's exasperating is the deal they put together, which also included Michael Smith and Jeff Halpern, for Brad Richards and some spare parts, was a really good one.

And then they don't like Jokinen, and Smith and Halpern both get injured and each miss about half the season, Halpern at the beginning, Smith at the end.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Mike Smith turned out well, but if they had taken the Canuck deal they would have Schneider, and Cody Hodgson who is a future star.

Thank god the Canucks didn't make that deal

Draft saved Draft deleted