1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008/09 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Sep 17, 2008.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

They can both buy me drinks after the show! :D

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Perfect!

You win, they both have to pay up as the loosers they are.

:D

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If Double J and I meet up in Toronto, it won't be to go see The Sound of Music.

I hear they have a pretty good show at The Brass Rail, however. :)

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

That'll pretty much guarantee you won't be getting nun, honey.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Rosie, you're back!!!!! Yay!!! We missed you! :)

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Lady Byng nominees: Parise, Datsyuk and St. Louis (the player, not the team)

From nhl.com story: Perhaps the most misunderstood trophy in sports, the Lady Byng rewards "the player judged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability." In other words, it rewards production done with class. It's not a "consolation" trophy as some have called it and it doesn't identify gutless players as some have insisted. Need proof? Check out this list of past Byng winners: Wayne Gretzky, Ron Francis, Joe Sakic, Joe Mullen, Mike Bossy, Jari Kurri, Marcel Dionne and Syl Apps Jr.
    You couldn't push around Apps, Alex Delvecchio, Sakic, Johnny Bucyk, Toe Blake, Frank Boucher or Bobby Bauer, and they all won the Lady Byng.

I don't care how they slice it, if I'm Datsyuk -- who can win this for the fourth year in a row -- I'd still rather not win this award.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

To put this in historical perspective, Lady Byng was the wife of the Governor General of Canada in the 20s and a huge hockey fan.

Awards like this are slightly anachronistic because they speak to the Victorian tradition of sports as a character building Christian exercise. The concept of "winning at all costs" was a totally foreign concept and likely considered lower class by the U-Class.

If you violated the spirit of the game, cheated or flagrantly broke the rules, well, you were also probably a cad and a bounder. :)

My favourite winner (twice) is Stan Mikita who was one of the more penalized players when he first broke into the league and then just decided to change his game.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

JR, thanks for the history lesson ... and the "a cad and a bounder" item.

I wonder how many votes Avery got? ;D

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Speaking of Avery, Tortorella refused to address the issue in today's press conference

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/24/tortorella-dodges-avery-question/#more-8557

This belongs in the locker room too. I’m not trying to disrespect anybody here, but I know what you guys want to do. You want this to be a Sean Avery story, and I’m not getting into a conversation about a Sean Avery story. I’ll get into a conversation about what the New York Rangers have to do to try to win. So I’ll leave it at that.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

The point is taken, but not because uber-weenies Wayne Gretzky and Mike Bossy are listed as previous Byng winners. Two big reasons right there, probably, why the Byng trophy is regarded as a pussy prize. :D

11. Simon

Simon Active Member

Can someone educate me on NHL TV scheduling practices for the NHL Playoffs?

Detroit/Columbus was scheduled for 6 pm CST on Saturday on VS.

Chicago/Calgary is scheduled for 8 PM CST on Saturday not on USA TV.

Why can't they change the TV time by 2 hours to accommodate putting the best series on TV on Saturday? Are they fucking retarded? They're putting one less game on TV because a series ended and they won't change game time by two hours on a Saturday night? And no, the Bulls don't play at home on Saturday.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Uber-weenie?

Other than the fact I disagree, it's pretty funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted