1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008/09 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Hell, it could be AMac's best (if not only) chance at a Stanley Cup! ;D ;D ;D

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I will breed a Stanley Cup champion. Mark my words. That kid will be tough as nails and she'll kick everyone's ass in the league.

Anyhow ... back to reality, can you imagine if I ran into Stevie in the hallway? I would DIE!

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Eric Wellwood scores the OT winner for Windsor and the Spitfires go to the Ontario Hockey League Final for the first time in twenty one years.

Good story given the economic meltdown in Windsor, the death last year of their enormously popular captain Mickey Renaud and the Steve Downie/Akim Aliu clusterfuck of a few years ago.

Windsor plays Brampton or Belleville who meet tomorrow night. The Battalion can move to the Final with a win. They're up 3 games to 1.

That said, Windsor is a scary skilled team. The only question is their goaltending which I think will give either Brampton or Belleveille the edge.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It could make Burke's goal of getting Tavares a little more realistic if they can out a package together that Colorado likes. I think they may be a little more open to such a trade than either Long Island or Tampa.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Do you think Tavares tanked or just that Windsor did a good job of marking him?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Why in God's name would Tavares tank?

Every game of this five game series went into OT and from the games I watched, the Spits were a better team but London could just as easily have won the series.

Knight's problem was their goalieTrevor Cann, Colorado's second round pick in the '07 draft. Based on his play in the playoffs the Avs might be thinking twice of offering him a contract.

At the other end Bryan Engelage wasn't a heckuva lot better.

As I said before, I think Brampton or Belleville have the edge in the Final just based on their netminding.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Spits have six guys scoring at a point-per-game pace, including the top four scorers in the league. Neither Belleville nor Brampton have faced this kind of offence in the postseason.

It should be a hell of a final - we'll see if defence and goaltending really do win championships. :)

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, except Belleville or Brampton aren't Owen Sound or Plymouth.

Jesus, the Spits scored twenty-six goals in a four game sweep of The Attack.

Engelage is a crappy goalie. Simple as that.

Despite only going five games, the London/Windsor series was a barn-burner. Was more entertaining than the NHL playoff games.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

West is Best.....I sense another bet coming on. ;D

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I love that not only is the NHL thread 190 pages and counting, the NHL playoffs require their own thread and a combined NBA thread is less than 40 pages.

What's that grumbling I heard about how no one cares about hockey? Riiiiiight...

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Does that mean I get to upsize my Super Burger order? :)

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

NBA fans still haven't noticed that the NBA became a niche sport years ago.

For my money, there are no "big four" or whatever anymore. It's more like:

Top tier - NFL
    Almost top tier - MLB
    Large niche sports - NHL, NBA, soccer, NASCAR
    Small niche sports - everything else

Draft saved Draft deleted