1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008/09 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Caught the third period and OT/SO at work. The other sports guy is a huge Flames fan. Needless to say he was relentless. Was not a good night.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That blog is actually pretty good.
    Couldn't agree more. the only one I would have a problem with is the smoking one other than that, young males drinking beer, shocking isn't it.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Caps are shitkicking the Pens, 5-2, in the second period. Pens coach Dan Bylsma just pulled Marc-Andre Fleury. Clearly, Bylsma feels that this performance has seriously damaged Fleury's chances to be one of Team Canada's top 8,000 goaltenders for next year's Olympics.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

My friend, let Larry Brooks ease your worries:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Okay, I am officially impressed. Sounds like the Rangers are doing it right - who'da thunk it?!

Interesting that Brooks would make reference to the Bob Nevin-Bobby Rousseau trade, since it was an even bigger deal that brought Nevin to Broadway in the first place. The Leafs sent Nevin, Dick Duff and a couple of other guys to the Rangers for - wait for it - Andy Bathgate.

It was a controversial trade, though. The Leafs won the Stanley Cup that season, 1964, but it's been said that was the beginning of the end of the 1960s dynasty. The Leafs had built a damn good organization from within, and in one fell swoop they unloaded several good players for a guy who was long gone by the time 1967 rolled around. The gutting of the franchise just picked up speed after that.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

We've discussed it before, but I think it bears repeating. A former Rangers executive told me last year that the reason that the some of the great Rangers from years past have not been honored is (A) much of the fanbase was not around for the first three Cups (the Patricks, and Ching Johnson) and (B) after those guys, there were great individuals on spectacularly lousy teams.

Again, I don't think agree with the organization's beliefs. Just stating what they believe.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The board's Whalercanes fans (Sammy, OnDeadline) will be happy with today's result.

In the day's natural disaster game, the 'Canes topped the Avalanche, 5-2. Legendary goal scorer Matt Cullen had a hat trick for the 'Canes.

8. Ovechkin joins the crowd (NHL players that dislike Crosby's antics on the ice) after today's game calling out Sid for his yapping.

NHL must be salivating over the Pens making it to the playoffs and getting the 7th seed to have a Washington-Pittsburgh first round matchup.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What did Ovechkin say, exactly?

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

First career trick for Cullen. Given the way he and Ray Whitney are playing, it's not a surprise.

Power play didn't look so hot, though. 0-for-8.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Chicago is honoring Bob Probert tonight.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Also, since Howell's No. 3 will be raised to the Garden's rafters shortly, defenseman Michael Roszival will switch to No. 33.

Note: There are already loud "Eddie" chants for Ed Giacomin, who told MSG Network's Al Trautwig "It should have happened a long time ago" when the latter asked what feelings Howell and Bathgate will experience.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted