1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008/09 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Sep 17, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Love this one:

He's been undermining everything we do," says the veteran. "He doesn't pay attention; he's not smart enough to play our system. He can't do some drills properly. He says it's because he's 'independent.
    'Really, he's just not smart enough

Schadenfreude indeed.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Like the time it was reported he said something about a player with cancer but, as it turned out, he didn't really say anything about a player with cancer.

Or like the time Shane Doan said something about a referee being a frog but didn't really say anything about a referee being a frog.

Or like the time ...

Either it's left on the ice or it's not.

Either the words are offensive or they're not.

It can't be both ways.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Just to clarify something said before.....Ron Wilson is a dual citizen. He was born in Ontario (Windsor) and lived in this province (Fort Erie) until he was 12. As the son and nephew of two Kincardine-born NHL players and coaches, one can assume that, even after leaving Ontario, he continued to grow up with a Canadian hockey sensibility.

As for Brian Burke, come on - he was raised and learned the game in Minnesota. He's as Canadian as any American can be. :)

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Shane Doan was not proven to have said anything derogatory about a French-speaking official. Apples and oranges.

And yes, trash talking can be both offensive and non-offensive. It's all about the context and the setting. If Avery taunts Phaneuf on the ice about sloppy seconds, it's accepted as part of the game. Because he chose another method and another time and place to deliver the taunt, it crossed the line.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

No, it's not OK. It's either offensive or it's not. On the ice or off.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I heard Tippett's quote and it's spot on. Avery is done in Dallas.

On the ice.

Only problem is, Dallas is still on the hook for 4 years in all. Guaranteed.

Avery couldn't make it to the quarter-pole in his first year.

If Tom Hicks weren't a hockey idiot, Brett Hull would be out on his keaster yesterday. And Tippett 2 years ago.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I have to disagree.

The words are only part of the story.

Without the context, you have no frame of reference. He didn't just get suspended because of the words.

If he had said it on the ice, probably nothing would have happened. Doesn't mean the words are any less or more offensive The context changes.

Yelling out "motherfucker" at The Goose is par for the course.

Yelling it out during Mass ---now, that's probably considered objectionable

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Listening to Mike Heika's interview on NHL Live, it seems that the Stars overreacted to the Rangers signing of Wade Redden and Hull convinced Hicks to ante up for Avery.

According to Heika, Avery "freelances" in practices, causing drills to be disrupted. Also, Avery spends his time with NY and LA TV and/or movie writers, while dismissing his teammates.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Substitute 'nigger' for 'sloppy seconds' and then tell me where it sits with you.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Look, if you want to play hypothetical word games, we can do kike, spic, wop and mick.

My point was simple: the words without the context are meaningless.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Flash...do you want referees calling penalties for talking trash?

12. Flash

Flash Guest

No, I'm re-asserting how fucking ridiculous the whole thing is.

Guys get called far worse on the ice but because it's on the ice and 'in context,' it's OK.

And now y'all have your panties twisted up in a knot because a puck fuck was called a puck fuck. Out of context.

Fucking goddamn ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted