1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008/09 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Because that makes it right? No.

Because football, baseball, soccer, auto racing want to promote their athletes as 'wholesome'? No.

Because football, baseball, soccer, auto racing have had several major court cases of inappropriate relationships between coach and athlete? No.

Sorry. The NHL can't have its cake and eat it, too.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

All this debate about whether the on-ice crap should be considered in the same light as comments made on national television is almost irrelevant.

Avery's a leper and I bet his days as an NHL player are over.

Whatever Bettman does, it'll pale in comparison to what the Stars will do to him.

The worst case and messiest scenario is for the team declare his contract null and void. The other, more expensive options is to buy out his contract or put him on waivers and bury him in the minors.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Oh. So it would have been OK for him to call her that on the ice? OK.

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I'm sorry...maybe I missed some marketing campaign, but where does the "wholesome" image come from?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

According to Matthew Barnaby, yes. He said as much on TSN. "What's said on the ice stays on the ice"

The medium is the message.

And Avery picked the wrong medium.

If he had said it on the ice, it would likely never have been reported and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I said that.

There's not a specific marketing campaign but there's always been an mplicit underlying message (bullshit or not) that hockey players are the salt of the earth and the most accessible of athletes.

I mean, there's always a disconnect with that because as soon as you say "wholesome" someone retorts with "Bertuzzi"

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

ok, thanks for the clarification.

Implicit or not....doesn't every league paint the picture that their athletes are good people?

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Is Luke LaCock crazy?
    The Bruins are in as a good a groove as they've been in the last 20 years or so. If Julien wasn't fired after last season, when the B's barely scraped into the playoffs and took an 0-fer against Montreal in eight regular season games, it won't happen this year.
    I'm not saving up for Cup Finals tickets yet, but it's been a long time since I've felt this optimistic about the Bruins.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Oh OK .. I'm glad the same words can be offensive and not offensive at the same time to the same people.

Perfect.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If the words were said on the ice, no one outside a few players would have heard it, it wouldn't have been reported and we wouldn't be discussing it.

You know, if a tree falls in the forest kinda thing....

In any case, it wasn't said on the ice so that discussion is a hypothetical.

And it's not about just the words.

It's the words + the player+ the context + the setting.

Not to mention that he threw Dave Tipppett under the bus.

Draft saved Draft deleted