1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008/09 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

So I'm sitting here watching live hockey, thanks to my new digital cable box and a free month of NHLTV.

It's the New York Rangers vs. the Tampa Bay Lightning in the Prospects Tournament.

At least I'm pretty sure it's live.

Anyhow, it's 3-0 Rangers.

Lightning suck. Just as they always do.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Is this thread going to go from now until the Final?

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Now that some Hawks games are going to be on WGN, I might be able to watch more than one game per season.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That's not live, Flash, but it will do for now.

It's going to take a while to get some good prospects in the organization for the Lightning. They had a good draft last time out, but Feaster's management was a disaster as far as depth and minor league organization was concerned. Norfolk, the Lightning's AHL affiliate, finished last in its division last season.

They ended up 0-4 there, lost 6-5 to Columbus in the seventh-place game today.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think we can split the regular season and playoffs, if not more.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Whatever ... we'll see how far we can take this one ... it's not lik ewe go baseball and need a new one every two weeks or so. We're just not popular enough. :'(

Where did they hold this tournament? That rink looks like a smalltown Nova Scotia rink.

Rangers goalie prospect Zaba doesn't look too bad.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It's in Traverse City, Michigan.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Got to love this thread starting, which means the season isn't far away.

I also like that there is just one thread and not a new one every week like baseball.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

WHL season starts Friday. :D

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Also home of the Red Wing training camp.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Speaking of which, seeing the guys they had at the tournament, that organization is going to be pretty loaded for a while.

Like that's a shock.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

They do have 3-5 guys who are NHL ready, but likely will spend another year in Grand Rapids.

Ville Leino, who was rated the top player in Finland last year, is also in training camp, but could go back to Finland if he doesn't make the team by a certain point.

They are deeper on the back end than the front end (with players like Jakub Kindl and Jonathan Ericcson).

Draft saved Draft deleted