1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008-09 NBA Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Oct 28, 2008.

1. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Yea I sure would hate to get 15 and 8 every night plus a HUGE expiring deal for Ben Wallace and Sasha P. Those guys both mean nothng to the Cavs.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Shaq actually was pretty good last year. Since the Cavs wouldn't be giving up much and getting cap relief for when they need to have LeBron's extension and another player to convince him to stay, it seems like a good deal.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

So LeBron hasn't won a title. They get Shaq. Win a title. Can we then discount LeBron's championship by saying he can't win one without Shaq?

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Part of me thinks that Shaq would be great for the team. Except he won't be able to keep his mouth shut about LeBron resigning. This is going to be a brutal year on LeBron because every question is going to be about the summer of 2010. Bringing Shaq and all that he implies will only add to the circus.

5. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

As a Cavs fan, I'd much rather be having a "Can LeBron win a title without Shaq" discussion than a "Can LeBron win a title" discussion.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm shocked that Red didn't tape a bunch of shots at Phil to be released in the years after his death.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

True. Although they did track down the daughter, who was probably reading from a script Red wrote:

"Not to take away from Phil, but it's a different record," said Randy Auerbach, who lives in Los Angeles. "You're talking about a record with one team in which he won the first one and then won in eight consecutive years. Phil did it with two different teams and it wasn't consistently. It's about quantity. If that's his case, good for him.

"But it has to be broken down. It's a different record. How do you compare eight in a row, nine in 10 years?"

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

And Red never won one without Bill Russell.

Phil said he was wearing the X cap becuase his sons had it made for him.
    And he handled No.10 with class, calling Red a great coach and a great guy "I'll smoke a cigar in his honor later."

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, Red Auerbach also coached 12 years before winning (or even really contending for) a title, so there is that.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Those would be the 12 years without Bill Russell.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Shaq would be great, but to avoid all the crap that would come through by getting him, how 'bout going after Hedo or Ben Gordon?

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

One guy I'm happy for is Gasol. That guy was torched by the Euro stereotypes for what 5-6 years and he was the toughest guy down low for the Lakers the whole playoffs. He played Howard straight up and also scored over him in the post. He's one of the best low post players in the league.

Draft saved Draft deleted