1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2007: The Year Without An Autumn

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Oct 7, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) Mercury thermometers were accurate in the 1800s. The thing was actually invented in the early 1700s, and they were very precise instruments by the 1800s. Easiest way to tell would be to take one of the many surviving instruments and test its accuracy--as has been done. 2) Climate change--the fact that temperatures have risen since the industrial revolution--is a fact. But the effect has been most pronounced since the introduction of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, which has changed in composition (another measurable fact) over the last 30 years. Since the mid 1970s, the average surface temperature has warmed about 1 degree F. I suppose we can just question the precision of thermometers in the 1970s. Or we can accept the overwhelming evidence of the climate change.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Anyone see a Category 5 hurricane making U.S. landfall lately?

Guess not. One more set of predictions shot to hell.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Not a good example. Two made landfall in the Atlantic Basin -- one in the Yucatan, one in Central America. First time two Cat 5s have landfalled at that intensity in the same year and the same basin.

4. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Also, the Cat 5's are not totally dependent on climate change. Something as simple as a late season arctic push or extended rain period (such as the one we had here in Texas this year) can be a major influence. As a geographer who did a good bit of meteorological study, I don't at all question the cyclic nature of climate. After all, we have had more than one ice age (using the term loosely). It is the severity and rapid cycling that are out of the norm. Such things just don't happen randomly, there is an underlying influence, and with the best science we have available to us, it seems that fleurocarboniferous emissions are playing a major role. And those are man made, not natural. That means there are things we can do to make it better. But only if we act reasonably soon, not unreasonably later.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Three things one can always count on: death, taxes and old_tony not resisting a chance to dispute the theory of global warming.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It's been humid as hell here lately. The high today was supposed to only get up to 90, but I'm pretty sure it's well over that right now.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

funny as hell because it's true.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I live 15 miles north of Hell, and it was in the 80s today. 70s tomorrow, 50s by the weekend. And then it snows. Probably a week from today.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

First time I can remember complaining about the heat on Canadian Thanksgiving--about 30C and humid.

10. Forecast high of 87 (!) tomorrow, then 80, then it starts cooling off.

Whoever said it'd be in the 30s and snowing in April was dead on. Seems like the seasons have shifted about a month here where I live.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The weather today is worth bumping this thread.

The forecast high for Tuesday for Dallas-Fort Worth is 86ºF.

The normal high for this date is 64º. And no major front in sight. We had two days a couple of weeks ago (right after Halloween) where the highs got under 70, then shot right back up.

It's November the freaking 13th and I have yet to pull on a jacket or turn my thermostat to "heat."

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The high topped out around 70 here today, but with the rain moving through it's supposed to go back down into the 50s and even lower as we get closer to Turkey Day.

Draft saved Draft deleted