1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2007 Hall of Fame vote: Would you vote for McGwire?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Drama, Jul 31, 2006.

?

Would you vote for Mark McGwire for the Hall of Fame?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. No

56 vote(s)
    76.7%
  1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Zeke nailed it, of course.

But yes, Joe Jackson was a certain Hall of Famer when his career ended. If he plays 3-4 more years (and he played independent/semi-pro ball til 1933, at age 45, so there's no reason to believe he wouldn't have played another 5-6 years in the majors, easy) then we're talking about a legit rival to Cobb and Williams as the greatest hitter of all time. And of course, without the tarnished reputation ...

Yes, Shoeless Joe was that good.

And the man's been dead since 1951 -- he's served his time, now put him in the Hall.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's just like you, Buck Weaver...

[​IMG]

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You know, I could be the ugliest man in baseball until Yogi Berra came along ... just sayin' ... (and thank god for Joe Torre, FWIW) ;D

Just be glad you can't see who Risberg's talking to beside the cage there behind me. Probably up to something fishy. :eek:

The Swede was a hard guy ...

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

Couple of things.
    Unless someone has proof Rose bet on baseball while a PLAYER, he should be eligible for the HOF and banned from managing or coaching.
    Pete isn't a saint but he earned his spot.
    And maybe someone else can look this up but wasn't Ty Cobb investigated for throwing a game? From what I know, Landis brushed it aside.
    If Pete Rose is on the outside looking in, then Ty's racist ass should be there too.
    Finally, if Shoeless Joe was banned for "life," doesn't the ban end after he DIES?

And to the original question, no way McGwire belongs, not after his "I'm not here to talk about the past" performance on the Hill.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think they're hte best damn ball club I ever saw.

I loves me some Eight Men Out.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

Thanks Buck.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

All Dad has to do is explain that most people believe McGwire accomplished much of what he did with the help of steroids, which are illegal for that kind of use in this country. And when given the opportunity to clear his name in Congress, he whiffed. Dad can explain to the kids that sometimes, the end doesn't justify the means.

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

No.
    The guy was a .264 career hitter. He was a fine fielder, but he was a first baseman, not a centerfielder or shortstop, so it's hard to give him many points for that. He couldn't run. He even didn't hit that many doubles. He did nothing memorable in the post-season. And, while he played 14 seasons, he only topped 110 games in 10 of them. He was great at bashing homers. But that's about it. And, really, he was only all-time-great at bashing homers for three seasons.
    Like someone said at the start of this thread, he was one-dimensional. No Hall for him.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Maybe instead of talking baseball, Dad and junior can have a meaningful conversation about values and the consequences of cheating?

11. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

GOOSE FREAKIN' GOSSAGE!!!!

One bad dude.

No to McGwire.

He's not here to talk about the past.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The steroid hysteria is a reason why a player can be kept on the ballot for a few years, so that passions can subside, or memories of somebody tanking at the end of a career can be set aside with added perspective, or to see if someone's base-stealing ability or something like that is proven more extraordinary in light of subsequent stats by other players. That said, DiMaggio needing three ballots is unfathomable.

And I hope Dad is Junior's moral role model, not some athlete.

Draft saved Draft deleted