1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2007 Hall of Fame vote: Would you vote for McGwire?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Drama, Jul 31, 2006.

?

Would you vote for Mark McGwire for the Hall of Fame?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. No

56 vote(s)
    76.7%
  1. Johnny Drama

Johnny Drama Member

Not a should or could, but would you vote for Mark McGwire?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No.

But not because of steroids.

Because he was a one-dimensional player and, less than that, a one-dimensional hitter. His numbers must be looked at in the context of the era in which he played, and his 583 home runs (disregarding how he got them) are simply not as high a standard as 500 home runs in any other era.

He's Dave Kingman with slightly higher raw totals, skewed by his era. Kingman doesn't deserve to be in Cooperstown. McGwire doesn't deserve to be in Cooperstown.

No.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Gwynn and Ripken are shoo-ins. 2008 might be the best chance for both Goose and Jim Rice. McGwire probably receives more votes then, but still not enough.

4. Yes. He was one of the most feared and respected power hitters of his era.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

what i've been saying for years

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If he's voted into Cooperstown, will he decline giving an induction speech since he doesn't believe in talking about the past?

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Let's for a moment put aside his power years in St. Louis, before steroids became a real issue. Would he have made it then, assuming you extrapolate his numbers across the years? I'm thinking no, now that I look back on it.

8. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

No, at least not first ballot.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not to pick on you, Bubba, but this brings up a pet peeve of mine:

What's the deal with the airplane food first ballot thing anyway? If the dude's a Hall of Famer, he's a Hall of Famer. What's it matter if it's on the first ballot or not? Joe DiMaggio didn't get in til third ballot. What kind of "punishment" is making the guy wait a year, and who gave the writers that type of judgement anyway? If he should be in the Hall, he should be in the Hall. Period.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yep

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Classic!

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

McGwire's not a HOF, but I'm actually more interested to know if he still lives in Costa Mesa or Huntington Beach, Calif. If so, he's pretty close by where Canseco is playing for Long Beach and what would that meeting be like if they ran into each other?

Draft saved Draft deleted