1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2007 Brady vs. 2011 Rodgers: Who's better?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 1, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'll agree Pig Rapist gets extra credit for mounting that drive and saving the world from spinning off its axis because the Arizona freaking Cardinals won the Super Bowl. :D

2. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Pig Rapist's drive against the Packers was a complete fart though.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Manning did complete three big third-down passes on that drive. Roethlisberger only had to make one.

Both were great drives. Both had an iconic catch. Hard to put one ahead of the other, but I would put Manning's oh-so-slightly ahead of Roethlisberger for three reasons - the Giants NEEDED a touchdown (they trailed by 4, while the Steelers trailed by 3), Manning's three third-down completions and completing a pass like we've never seen before (after a great escape, no less).

I don't accept that Manning was "lucky." He's shown time and again that he makes big plays in the fourth quarter. Holmes' TD catch was fantastic, but it's been done. Tyree's was eye-popping, no matter how much people want to dismiss it as lucky.

And I will fully admit my fanboi bias toward the Giants, but I think I'm fairly level-headed in these kinds of debates. And I certainly wouldn't begrudge a Steelers fan putting Roethlisberger's ahead of Manning's.

4. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Manning's was the best I've ever seen in the Super Bowl. The others are great but not on the same level. Just my opinion.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The drive as a whole? Goes to the Giants. Performance by the quarterbacks. Easily Roethlisberger.

Manning threw a prayer into coverage and got lucky when Tyree caught it. Roethlisberger got a great catch on the touchdown, but it was also a hell of a throw. I put Roethlisberger's first simply because he didn't need as much luck to get it done.

And please, don't dismiss it as a Steelers fan's judgement. I didn't blow your opinion off as a Giants fanboy thing. Please extend the same courtesy to me.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How can anybody say with a straight face that the throw to Tyree was not luck? Great play by Manning to escape but he basically threw a hail mary.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Rodgers is already a better QB than Favre.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My opinion: I would rate Manning's drive and Montana's drive ahead of Roethlisberger's for the following reason. The former two games had been dominated by defense on both sides, while the latter game had had plenty of big plays and scoring drives on both sides. The first two broke the basic patterns of their games, a more difficult (again, IMO) accomplishment.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Montana's drive gave us "Look, there's John Candy." It will always be ranked #1 for that.

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

How quickly people forget. Here's a pretty good article from the Milwaukee J-S from a couple of weeks ago on the Rodgers vs. Favre issue. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/134041253.html

As sampling:

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know I'm a Niner fanboy, but I don't remember feeling even the slightest bit of angst when the Niners got the ball in that game. You just knew they were going to win.

12. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

2007 Brady end of story!

Draft saved Draft deleted