1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2007 best year in movies in a long time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The scenes at the music-store keyboard and then the studio are all-timers.

2. Definitely. I also love the seen when he sings her the song he wrote about his ex-girlfriend.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yes! Yes! 100 times yes! The scene in the music store when they sing Falling Slowly is amazing. I've gotten so many people to see that movie and they have all liked/loved it. I basically threatened my parents/siblings about what would happen if I didn't get that for Xmas. I'm going to get about 15 more people to see it after I get it for Xmas. My favorite movie by far this year. Saw it three times in theatres.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

"Enchanted" was excellent.
    Ultimately, it did not trust its own charm completely enough, and it was a bit derivative of "Elf", but that's a fresh, funny, enjoyable movie. What's essential about great film isn't whether it says SOMETHING IMPORTANT. It's about whether it excels at what it tries to do. "Enchanted" does that as well as most any movie.
    I haven't seen "No Country" yet, but my vote for the best movie of the year still goes to "Ratatouille." I suspect that will change in the coming weeks.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Mizzou, I know you're a movie hound. I'm surprised you didn't like:
    Ratatouille
    Hairspray
    Waitress
    Bourne Ultimatum
    Harry Potter/Phoenix
    That's almost one decent movie a week. I've seen much worse summers than that.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I thought The Incredibles was a distinctive notch above Ratatouille. I liked Ratatouille, but it really didn't move me.

Honestly, the scene where the food was tasted by the critic the second time and his reaction was the only real "wow" moment for me. Sure the animation was amazing, but the story just was not grabbing me as much.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think Juno has some real potential
    I look forward to seeing it.
    American Gangster, Knocked Up, Bourne Ultimatium were the best movies I saw.
    All three were distinct and different. I can't say which one was the best.
    I was disappointed in Super Bad.
    I had heard Waitress is really good and that Enchanted is awesome, but I havent' seem them. Same goes for Into the Wild, Michael Clayton and No Country for Old Men.
    I would say all and all that 2007 was a pretty good year.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

True, considering some of the past years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_Picture

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Saw Juno tonight. It's rivaling Knocked Up as my favorite comedy of the year. And I bought the soundtrack on iTunes as soon as I got home, contrary to what the one linked review earlier said.

Actual text I sent my boyfriend as I left the showing: "Oh my god I have a crush on a make-believe pregnant 16-year-old girl."

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I downloaded the soundtrack the night I saw it, too. It's fun stuff.

I liked Knocked Up, but I think Juno is the better film. Knocked Up is more obtuse; Juno is more subtle. I tend to be more impressed with subtle.

Also, IJAG, if you want to get rid of your Ellen Page crush, watch Hard Candy. She is anything but lovable -- gives me the shivers just thinking about that movie.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wow... my jaw drops reading that.

I mean, Incredibles was... credible.

But Ratatouille, in a time when it is so difficult to be truly original (with broad appeal) in a strictly animated film, blew me away.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I guess I'm in a tiny, tiny minority, but Once did nothing for me.

The guy's music blew (IMHO), so that kind of threw the whole story off-kilter for me. Again, I realize I'm in the minority.

I've seen Sweeney Todd, which opens tomorrow, and while it won't be everyone's cup of tea it's definitely on my top three of 2007 list.

Draft saved Draft deleted