1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2007 best year in movies in a long time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 15, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Thanks to Netflix it is sitting right next to me. I have high hopes. High hopes.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I really liked Once a lot. I thought the ending was beautiful. One of the best love stories in a long time.

Interestingly enough, did anyone else see that Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova are dating now?

3. 93Devil

I liked the ending. I don't want to give it away, but I think they are where they need to be or going in the right direction.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think I will go see Michael Clayton.
    Esquire had its mock-Oscars article and they said Michale Clayton had a bold and almost non-sensical opening, not as good as Aqua Teen, but still damn fine.
    Plus, it is only a dollar to get in. I spend more on cokes from the vending machine during the day.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ending is a splendid, emotional combination punch.

The kind of quirky movie that if you really LIKE movies, it's difficult to dislike;
    O'Toole's Venus is another that comes to mind.

6. 93Devil

I watched Michael Clayton last night, and I was mildly disappointed. Just an FYI, Clooney is one of my favorite actors. So I am actually biased going into this movie.

Usually I will give a movie a "sleep on it" test where on my commute to work the next morning I see if the movie is still in my mind. Michael Clayton was not.

Sure it had some nice moments...

- Clooney talking to his kid in the car
    - The symbolism of the escalator at the end
    - The cab ride

But overall I did not buy into the film. The crazy lawyer and the emotional shell running the company was just not believable for me. If I cannot believe a movie that has such a serious tone, I just have a hard time liking it.

All in all, I think Once, Bourne, Breach and Zodiac are far better movies. I still have to Netflix a lot of Simon's list, but I would not place Clayton so high. Heck, I would rent Out of Sight and watch that before watching Clayton.

This of course is just one idiot's opinion.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Out of Sight is Clooney's best film ... to me it is by far....

If I didn't like Lopez so much as Selena, I would say the same thing about her.

I had posted this on another Oscars thread, but based on 93's comment about Clayton, I'll quote it here.

Clooney and Denzel both carried far too much of an air of past familiarity in their performances for me to be moved.

8. 93Devil

Dredging up this thread, but last night I watched Gone Baby Gone.

Very good movie.

Casey Affleck is an awesome actor. Loved him in this role. I could not get through the Jesse James flick, but this is a much better vehicle for him.

I also enjoyed the grittiness of the movie. Everyone cast seemed to be 100% on the money with the exception of two: Ed Harris and Morgan Freeman. Ed Harris does not sell the South or does he sell Boston. Freeman is pretty much the same. Every character in the movie reeks being a Southie except for these two.

Some of the scenes were so tense, the two bar scenes stand out.

Loved the twists, and I loved the way the ending made you think.

Very solid effort. A notch below Bourne, but far ahead of Clayton.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Gone Baby Gone was the only movie I saw last year where I found myself thinking about it days later... It really stays with you and really makes you think...

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Besides, there was a rare John Ashton sighting.

What's not to like?

11. 93Devil

And OMAR!!!

12. 93Devil

I just watched No Country, and it would not top my list.

Sure it was tense, and the villain was amazing, but was there a good guy in this movie?

Who was I supposed to care about? Tommy Lee? Possibly.

I thought Fargo and Blood Simple where better overall efforts. Maybe the artistic nature of this film was better, but I thought Fargo had a much better story.

It just did not past my "next morning" test.

Draft saved Draft deleted