1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

20 years ago today ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

i was actually studying overseas at the time, and with no internet, sports news was hard to come by (someone would hear from a call to his parents or a local paper that we had little to no access to had it a day or two late), and fake rumors were common. A bunch of us were playing intramural basketball, and someone came screaming it. None of us believed it.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I remember finding out this news being very similar to when I found out that Buster Douglas had KO'd Mike Tyson for some reason.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would love to know if he's taking some non-FDA approved drug.

I know I would be if I was in that situation and I had his money and connections...

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In 1991 everyone thought Magic Johnson would die as a skeletal form wasting away from AIDS -- now, he's probably way more likely to keel over from an obesity-releated heart attack.

The rich stay healthy, the sick stay poor.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Least surprising post ever.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think his case is actually pretty typical nowadays.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You also have to wonder if he didn't have access to some experimental drugs that are now approved but weren't then. He would essentially have been a guinea pig if that was the case.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

And wasn't that only one day after Mercury made the announcement that he had the disease?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the timeline of availability of anti-retroviral drugs, but I think that by 1991 and certainly by the mid-90s, big-time advances in treatment were underway.

Are you postulating that maybe he was part of an FDA study or something along those lines?

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

A little reminder of what he did before that day.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Doesn't change the fact he's right. It's naive to think Magic didn't benefit from drugs other people couldn't afford and/or didn't have access to. I'm sure his excellent fitness (at that point) helped as well, but if he was Joe Blow, my guess is he, at the least, wouldn't be as healthy as he is today.

Like Sonner, I was a huge Lakers fan, and I kinda figured Magic would be dead in a few years. I remember watching the press conference that afternoon in my parents' living room and then being offended the next night when Magic went on Arsenio Hall to declare he didn't get HIV by being gay (paraphrasing, but that's what he said). Pretty fucked up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted