1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

20 years ago today: The Wall came down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Nov 9, 2009.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Um, if it's NSFW, you might oughta just link it.

2. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

She's white hot.

Funny how Merkel lavished praise on Gorby when it was Reagan's words and actions that helped tip the scales. I guess dead is forgotten.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Is that Merken ? Wow

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Oops. Meant to.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was a teen when it happened. I remember hearing how East Germans were escaping through Hungary and recall being surprised when the military was just letting that happen. Then I came home from school late that one night, and remember seeing Tom Brokaw broadcasting the fall.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watched Fog of War last night - hard to believe we were that close to actual war. As a kid who loved Tom Clancy's books, particularly Red Storm Rising, that was enough for me.
    I do find it amusing to remember a Jimmy Buffett concert album where he talked about his "plan" to end the Cold War. Air drop millions of Victoria's Secret catalogues behind the wall, then drop about a million $50 dollar bills - he figured that would end communism. He wasn't that far off.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I don't think there are any Russians
    And there ain't no Yanks
    Just corporate criminals
    Playing with tanks.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Celebrations today as the Berlin Wall was eaten by wolves. It was delicious.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

"Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall."

10. hickory_smoke

hickory_smoke Member

I was a teenager at the time, and when I think of the end of the Soviet Empire, I don't think of the Berlin Wall.

A few months earlier, Poland's government held elections, presumed by all sides to have gamed the system so it would retain power and then Solidarity unexpectedly won in a landslide. The next day, buried on the evening news, was the report on the political earthquake. The Polish government spokesman, speaking in that classic communist monotone, said that he felt the vote did not reflect the will of the people. The reporters responded with mocking laughter.

Draft saved Draft deleted