1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

20 years ago today: The Wall came down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Nov 9, 2009.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

World's just a little bit different now, eh?

I'm not really old enough to remember it, or to have understood what it meant when it happened. Taken on its own, it might not have been all that significant. But for what it symbolized, it is, of course, one of the seminal moments of the 20th century.
  2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It was inevitable and it's a good thing communism fell with a relative lack of bloodshed. I read one writer who said it was economics: "People behind the Iron Curtain didn't want to wear Bulgarian shoes."
  3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Let's not forget the man who led the "Velvet Revolution" and whose work was most responsible for tearing down the Iron Curtain: Lech Walesa.
  4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Other than 9/11, probably the most significant event in my lifetime.

I was 11 when it happened ... and most likely more concerned with the 49ers getting to and winning the Super Bowl.

Didn't know what it meant, then, of course.
  5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Its a very significant event in our lifetime that has had far reaching geo political effect. I must say that I am surprised that the celebration is not a bigger event.

From the sports aspect Olympians no longer had to compete against East German women with a nut sack.
  6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was in the field in Grafenwhore ... err, Grafenwoehr and found about it two days later in the Stars and Stripes. And we were maybe 50 miles from the East German border, tops.
  7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Active Member

That old Polish guy who wore a white pointy hat and lived in Rome for a while should also get a bit of credit. (Without Pope John Paul, II there is no solidarity movement)
  8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Besides that the Velvet Revolution happened in Czechoslovakia and was led by Vaclav Havel.
  9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Oops. Right you are. Walesa's work in Poland predated the Velvet Revolutions of '89. However, it was in Poland that the collapse of communism began.

And of course Pope John Paul II gets a great deal of credit. He was extremely influential and in fact Walesa often said that JPII gave people the courage to rise up. But there would have been a Solidarity with or without him and, as leaders go, it was Walesa who did the heavy lifting. Hell, you have to give credit to Gorbachev, too, because without his post-Brezhnev reform movements, none of this plays out the way it did.
  10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I give a lot of credit to David Hasselhoff.

In all seriousness, I was young but I had an idea of what it meant. A good friend of mine at the time had just immigrated from the Soviet Union. We were only in grade school but he spelled out a lot about what life was like over there and how happy he was to be here. I didn’t know the magnitude but I knew that life in the East Germany area would be a lot better.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Don't forget Katarina Witt. :D
  12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted