1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

20 years ago today - oct. 14, 1987

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by txsportsscribe, Oct 14, 2007.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

baby jessica fell down the well in midland 20 years ago.

of course, parents are now divorced and the firefighter who pulled her from the well after 58 hours eventually committed suicide.

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Other than that, Happy Anniversary!!!

3. John

John Well-Known Member

It did lead to a good Simpsons episode, though.

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

That event, much like JFK and 9/11 for most people, is one I'll never forget.
    My family and I stayed up watching it on TV for hours on end.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

JFK and 9/11??
    I never grouped with a presidential assination and a massive terrorist attack.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Memorable events that you'll always remember where you were when it happened.

7. Faithless

Faithless Member

This time 20 years ago, I was working sports desk at the newspaper where I'm still employed (in another capacity). I remember the Baby Jessica news and kinda followed it while doing the normal work routine, but can't remember exactly what I was doing when I heard about it.

But I do remember what I was doing when I heard about these events:

The first moon landing: I was a wide-eyed 6-year-old in front of the TV at a relative's home
    Elvis' death: Listening to a Memphis radio station while sitting in a car outside a dental office
    John Lennon's death: Watching Monday Night Football while hospitalized with back pain
    The Challenger explosion: Sitting in the newspaper library reading a magazine
    9/11: Heard the news when I turned on the car radio after stopping at a convinence store.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I was a little kid. But it seemed like the first mass-hysteria story that was overblown to me.

9. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

The O.J. chase - never had my family been more mesmerized by the TV than that moment.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Hmmmm, I didn't realize that the Baby Jessica story was so memorable. I know it was a huge media event....but similar events seem to occur every few years.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Poor Timmy O'Toole.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't remember it at all.

The most important thing in my world that day was watching Danny Cox shut out the Giants in Game 7 of the NLCS (I was a huge front-running Cardinals fan in 1987). ... You know, that and kindergarten class in the morning. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted