1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2-year-old, $60 million Texas HS football stadium falling apart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Allen's a pro-GOP demographic. This is but one of several civic projects in Allen promoted by business leaders. This is, in short, a town for sale on most aggressive of business principles, to the extent of shipping in low-wage labor.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcook/2012/08/13/why-allen-texas-built-a-60-million-high-school-football-stadium/

There are several towns like this surrounding Atlanta. The sheer number of business-controlled city governments around Atlanta - which have repeatedly rebuffed any kind of public transit plan that lets commuters travel between the areas -- helped lead to the recent ice storm boondoggles.

IMO, eventually, enough middle/lower class folks needed to work in Allen will move to Allen in low-income, a couple will eventually get on the school board or city council, wealthy whites will thus turn up their noses, move farther out, form more public governments, and make these public square events in Allen obsolete and empty. JMO.

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I didn't read Devil's comment to be about construction overruns. I read it as, the construction company is getting paid $60 million regardless, so if it uses cheap, inferior parts it can pocket the difference as profit and probably even get paid later on to come in and fix whatever problems the cheaper parts cause.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I misread that.

Builders skimping on materials to save a buck after they have signed the contract is pretty standard. You expect that, so you try to stop them as it is getting done.

On a much smaller scale. ...when I demo'd my home and redid it from top to bottom, I either purchased things on my own, or kept an eye on everything to make sure I was getting what we had agreed to. And I am really inept when it comes to that kind of thing. I actually went with a contractor who wasn't lowest bid, because my gut told me I could trust him more. ... because I assumed that is the game.

You have to assume anyone who commissions public works projects for a living is even more sophisticated than I am.

If a construction company skimps on materials, it can be difficult to stop them. But when it is a $60 million public-works project being funded by public debt, you'd hope there are controls in place to make sure about materials and quality while it is being built. Someone should be on site watching everything, right?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes. They should have an independent clerk of the works on site.

My money is on soil compaction, though. That's on the school.

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be on the engineering firm the school hired to do a site test, assuming that happened?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not always.

The job could have also had change orders that increased the weight of the structure. If this was proffered land, you are never getting the best piece of land. The developers know far more than schools and usually will try to give them bullshit land that can take no more weight than a soccer goal.

You can build on shitty dirt, it just becomes far more expensive.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bump --

1) Stadium closed for the fall. They'll contract Plano's stadium for football games.

2) Review finds design and construction flaws, putting the matter on the shoulders of the architect and construction firm. Those companies agreed to put $1 million into an escrow account as all parties discussed a solution. Then they decided not to put that money in an escrow account. To protect the district, of course.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20140519-exclusive-60m-allen-football-stadium-deemed-not-safe-will-close-this-season.ece

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's not just a few cracks. The whole concourse is cracking up. I don't know how they can repair it without bulldozing and starting over.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/225272092/Illustration-Cracks-in-Allen-Eagle-Stadium-concourse-level

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

BUMP: Out for 2014 season

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20140519-exclusive-60m-allen-football-stadium-deemed-not-safe-will-close-this-season.ece

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sad when such wise decisions go sideways.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Could be worse…

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24567807/look-40-foot-sinkhole-opens-in-austin-peay-football-stadium

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Boy, is that going to make for a heck of a fade route!

Draft saved Draft deleted