1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2-year-old, $60 million Texas HS football stadium falling apart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Feb 27, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Except that's unlikely to happen.

There was some disaster, I forget where or when right now, but could probably look it up, where Nancy Pelosi lamented the fact that the National Guard was stretched thin, and not able to do disaster work, because they were, you know, fighting a war.

Too many think of the military as glorified Boy Scouts, and forget what their core mission is.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Defense spending? What does that have to do with the price of a stadium in Texas?

I want to find out that the contractor wasn't the low bidder and didn't score the best on the technical portion either, but is the superintendent's cousin, and I want to see at least six people go to jail.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hey, ask Devil.

And, yeah, I'm curious about the contractor too. But, as long as he's spent the money he improperly gained, then it's all good. No need to throw anyone in jail. It's not like they burned the money on the 50 yard line. The money is circulating. The guy did a public servoce. He took government money, and spent it!

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Only concerned with certain types of government spending

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The city won't wind up eating a dime of the repair costs on this. Somebody's paying to fix this fuck-up but it won't be the residents of Allen.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It'll be especially good for the economy if the money to fix it comes out of a Cayman bank.

7. 93Devil

People here all realize the largest employer in almost every county in America is the government, and it isn't even close in the majority of counties.

Too many people think tax dollars are just burned in a pile, which is exactly what a very small percentage of Americans want you to think.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The only things I haven't taken into account is that, as someone mentioned earlier, someone in the school gave the construction company a sweetheart deal, or there was an outright bribe.

Given the litigation that's going to come from this, by the time it's settled who is paying for what, the stadium is going to keep crumbling, and they as well build another one.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out how it cost $60 million. Infocision Stadium in Akron cost that and it has double the seating and an upper deck. Must've spent a shitload on concession stands and locker rooms.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That's a lot of corn dogs.

11. 93Devil

Or sometimes construction companies say they will do one thing and do another.

You would be amazed at how often builders try to fuck clients over in the constriction process over a $20,000 piece that might cost $500,000 to the client five years from now.

I can think of two litigations in the last five years that resulted in a a six figure settlement and a five figure settlement for the same school division. One was a roof and the other was an asphalt pour on a parking lot.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This wasn't a construction overrun.

Voters approved the stadium in 2009, and they issued bonds and took on debt specifically to build a $60 million stadium.

Draft saved Draft deleted