1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2-year-old, $60 million Texas HS football stadium falling apart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Allen, Texas, schools are planning a news conference at 4 p.m. local time to discuss what they're going to about their new football stadium, an 18,000-seat colossus that apparently is cracking up like Wrigley Field.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/allen/headlines/20140227-allen-isd-schedules-news-conference-on-issues-at-eagle-stadium.ece?nclick_check=1

Livestream, for those interested: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/live-video/

I'm going to guess there will schadenfreude all over Texas about this.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I predict they move to San Antonio.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I know nothing about this, but interesting to me looking at the picture that the school district had no interest in putting a track there. Football only, dadgumit.

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

And if you're wondering, there will be a press conference from Allen ISD regarding the $60 million shanty. Only in Texas.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The snottiest, uppityest stadium crew in Texas is out of work. Cue the violins.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The engineers will be executed, of course. It's Texas.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Stadium closed until at least June.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like one mother of a lawsuit against the construction company is coming soon. "Extensive cracking" ain't supposed to happen after only two years, especially when the bill to build it was that large.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I guess they don't make stadiums like they used to.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am not trying to play 'one up', but at least for $60 million, a football stadium in Dallas is going to get a lot of use.

A new pool at Cabrillo High School in Long Beach, CA was recently dedicated. It cost $12 million(!) for the pool and scoreboard. Cabrillo has no swim nor water polo team (the high school is in a working class, immigrant area).

Do new pools cost $12 million these days? I guess when you have bond funds, price is no object.

https://lbschools.net/District/measurek/cabrillohspool.cfm

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But enough about Jerry Jones' face.

12. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I'm guessing this isn't a crack from natural settling?

Draft saved Draft deleted