1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2 truths and a lie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Aug 17, 2013.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The oranges are true. All occurred at ages under 10. I just really couldn't figure it out.

The Michael Jordan story was a lie. When he was in Birmingham, a bunch of us teenagers tried to get him to sign a Playboy because we'd seen him in his car the week before looking at a centerfold (presumably a photo of himself in some magazine). We caught him leaving the stadium and he just busted out laughing at a bunch of 15/16 year olds with a Playboy. Some other guy came over with his wife and signed it as his wife rolled her eyes.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Shawn Green?

3. Dr. J is the lie. The truth is, I was standing nearby while a kid was playing pinball during the league party at the NBA All-Star Game (I think it was the '88 game in Chicago). Then Dr. J walked over to tell his son it was time to go.

The Flutie story is true. I was working on a retrospective of the USFL on one of its anniversaries and had left a message for Flutie. He called and woke me up to tell me -- in very slurred speech -- that he would be calling me the next day to do the interview. It was very strange.

The Paul Newman thing happened while I was covering the Falcons' training camp, then in Suwanee, Ga. The team's regular headquarters shared a property with a motel, the Falcon Inn, that was owned by the team's owner. Road Atlanta is not far away, and Newman was in town for a race and apparently was staying there. It was 1987, and the big story was the likely players strike looming ahead. I was eating lunch at the Falcon Inn restaurant with a couple of other writers when Paul Newman came in to eat. He saw our notebooks and apparently overheard some of our conversation, so he walked over to our table and said, "Are you sportswriters?" When we said yes, he started asking us what was going on with the strike situation and if we thought the players were really going to walk out.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My lie was the half a million dollars lost in a day. I can't believe you and someone else thought that was true! I have had some really bad days -- usually trading futures -- that would get me some sympathy on here, but I have never risked (or lost) anything near that much in one day.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Big hitter, the Lama, long

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Near as I can remember, the day I spent with the Dalai Lama, he didn't say "Gunga galunga, gunga, gunga lagunga."

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

You've got that going for you.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Which is nice.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

BUMP.
    1. I've blown my nose so hard on one occasion, I popped a pimple on the inside.
    2. I've officiated 7 Kansas State High School Football Championship games in a row.
    3. Friend of mine has 2 holes in one.......in the same round.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

1 and 3 are true.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

1. I've held a Grammy Award
    2. I've lifted the Stanley Cup
    3. I've put on a Masters winner's green jacket

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Without shoes?

Draft saved Draft deleted