1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2 points?! 2 damn Points?!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 12, 2012.

1. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

There's one high school clock operator who is a god in my eyes. The team I mentioned earlier that got shut out played at his school and would routinely get beat by 40 or 50 points. Once it was out of hand and everyone agreed to run the clock, he did them one better. The operating system was an old dial-style control board, so once or twice per quarter he'd slyly take an extra minute off by resetting it on the fly.
    Six minutes left became five. Three minutes left became two. All while the clock was running, so unless you were paying close attention no one noticed it. And since it was obvious the losing team couldn't score 30 points, much less make up a 30-point deficit, no one cared.
    There was one blowout where, thanks to his trickery, a running clock and an agreement by both coaches to treat halftime like a two-minute quarter break, we were finished in about 35 minutes.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

In Indiana, you don't have the option to take your team off the floor. There is no running clock rule, and it is considered a SERIOUS violation of IHSAA bylaws to quit a game early.

As Bob Cook mentioned above, Arlington was taken over by the state and turned over to a charter school operator earlier this year, and they've had a respectable girls hoops program for quite some time -- until the state takeover. Now, they're a charter school team that plays like one.

My guess is, the AD simply filled the schedule, and the opponents thought they were scheduling Arlington teams from previous years, which were usually at least semi-competitive. The charter school company running the place bundled the head football, head boys basketball and AD jobs together. Scheduling is an art, especially when you only have 20 games to work with. I know their schedule was a bit short this past year, so they're often picking up a game or two to fill it out.

I'll also note that when I saw them play earlier this year, they were down 26-0 after a quarter and 41-5 at halftime -- and didn't even attempt a shot until midway through the second quarter. The team that beat them (by 60 points that night) lost to a team from BHSS's conference seven nights earlier by 60, and starts four freshmen and a sophomore -- and is 1-6 right now.

3. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

We had a 107-3 last year.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Sure wish we had that rule in North Carolina.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don't care how pitiful you are, if your team puts in effort and is fully ambulatory you can keep it closer than 107-2. At that point I'd consider denying them the PE credits they are getting for playing a sport.

Being serious for a moment, there should be a special division for teams that know they are non-competitive and agree to skip postseason play. Every state usually has at least 8-10 of these charity cases, usually the same schools in most sports.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Being waterboarded > women's basketball.

Lower the goal to 8 feet.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In 1988-89 a local sportscaster I was talking to said "Watching women's basketball is like watching two white guys box"
    Disagreed with him then, disagree with him now.

8. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

In 1998-99, a local girls team lost two games by scores of 118-13 and 111-9. They were both conference games.
    The team that won 111-9 went on to win the state small school title and topped 100 points five times that year (including in the district semifinals) and 90 three times.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

so I cover girls basketball tonight and show up in the 3rd quarter of the JV to find that it's 35-0. At one point a girl on the losing team grabs an offensive rebound off a missed free throw and starts a fast break the wrong way, not knowing why everyone was yelling at her until she crossed midcourt for the over-and-back call.
    The varsity was 60-4.
    The losing team is a charter school that went 12-11 last year playing other charter schools so they decided to play tougher teams this year, though why they wanted to play a school with three times the enrollment they have is a mystery. The sad thing is the school that beat them, the one we cover regularly, is 3-3. The team the charter school girls play next is 5-1 and has an even larger enrollment. That one could easily be 107-2.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

These fucking charter schools are a complete joke in just about every way. We have maybe a half dozen in our coverage area. Probably we have 25 because every February and March we get a flurry of phone calls from irate mothers screaming "my little boy plays for Sweet Jumpin Jeezus Charter Academy of Excellence and Awesomeness and they are 16-2, why don't you cover their games?"

Then they get in the state tournament. First game, Sweet Jumpin Jeezus Charter Academy plays Hooterville High School, 6-14 during the season in a bad class D league. Hooterville wins 78-23.

One thing I know for damn sure. If I was a coach in a public high school playing one of these paper-bag charter schools, I'd turn the fuckin' guns on 'em. Press 32 minutes buzzer to buzzer. Score 200 points if I could. Hey, charter-boy, if you wanted to learn how to play real basketball, you should have come to Hooterville High and played for me.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The flipside of the pathetic-horrible-awful charter schools who get ass-blasted 107-2, of course, are the fly-by-night charter schools which are basically thrown up as fronts for street agents to run their all-star semipro AAU teams.

We have a few of them around too.

Draft saved Draft deleted