1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2 points?! 2 damn Points?!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 12, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

One Indy Star article said Arlington averaged 17 points per game before this massacre. They have no business playing a varsity schedule.

That said, does Indiana do boys-girls doubleheaders? The boys' game could theoretically be a legitimate game. Do you scrub that to protect Sisters of the Crippled?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If you are coaching a team that doesn't stand a chance in hell of being competitive, why on earth are you scheduling games against such opponents.

Both coaches can choke on a dick as far as I'm concerned. The winning coach's explanation that the losing team was playing an aggressive 2-3 zone is insanity. How aggressive could it be if you rolled up 107 in 40 minutes

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

yeah, that's nice, how about getting the ball over halfcourt and then just holding it. It's not like there's a shot clock you have to account for.

some conferences do, but you don't see it for non-conference games. (Arlington is in a conference for city schools, Bloomington South is Conference Indiana)

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

We've taken three or four varsity high school girls games on the phones this season in which the winning team didn't score 20 points. I shit you not.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We have a girls' team in our area that's lost 90-something straight district and region games. That team is why I'm glad the KHSAA implemented a 35-point running clock this season.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

As far as participation is concerned, high school girls basketball is losing big-time ground to volleyball, soccer and softball. At least in my neck of the woods.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

"Winters said, telling the Star that Arlington's defense was in an aggressive 2-3 zone."

Yeah, fuck him. They were extending the zone and pressuring the ball.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Earlier this season, I noticed a juco women's score that ended 89-3. That's a 40-minute game. With a 30-second shot clock.

Does Indiana play four eight-minute quarters, I'm guessing? Insane that a game could end 107-2, but a similar mismatched juco women's game ends 89-3.

The small college I cover has a great women's basketball team. They routinely pound opponents. Last weekend, they were up 26-5 less than six minutes in. They won by 70. I once joked with the coach after a similar game that they could have scored 150 points and won by 100. His response was, "Yeah, but what would that have accomplished?"

I guess that's a question I would ask the winning coach. What was accomplished by winning 107-2? I mean, they couldn't do a little Gene Hackman? "Four passes!" Did the winning coach empty the bench? You don't want to take away the chance for the kids to play, and when the scrubs get in, you want them to play. But still, there are ways to avoid scores that bad.

It reminds me of a high school girls game I covered at a former paper. The school I covered lost 100-24. The winning team was fouling in the final minute as if they were down six points, just to get the ball back to try to get 100. Yeah, you got 100 points, but was it worth it?

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Depends. Were there free tacos for everyone at stake?

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

But you can't hold a whole high school association responsible for the behavior of a few misguided individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole high school sports association system? And if the whole system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Gator - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.
    I hope I didn't need to put that in blue type

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH -- how bout this STOP THEM AND STOP CRYING

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

According to the article, the winning team only has/had nine players.

Draft saved Draft deleted