1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2 MSNBC.com Sports Jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diabeetus, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Company: msnbc.com
    Position: Editor, Sports
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: November 30, 2007
    Job ID: 844577

Description:
    MSNBC.com is seeking an experienced Editor, Sports to join our team in the Seattle area. We are looking for an individual that can edit wires, partner and staff stories, write informative headlines and captions, and place stories on appropriate cover pages. The right candidate must have good news judgment, be focused on the casual news reader and the Internet audience, and make smart decisions in a fast-paced environment. Must have strong copy editing skills. Will produce, manage and update Sports cover and subsections. Must work well as a team with writers, photo editors and others. Responsible for working with the publishing tools to do the hands-on content preparation for a specific sport. Must devise and implement plans for coverage for a specific sport.

The position requires a BA or BS in liberal arts or journalism, or equivalent experience. Must have at least five years working for online news organizations as a producer or editor, excellent sports news judgment, understanding of capabilities of Internet, excellent communication skills, flexibility, and the ability to collaborate effectively with others.

To apply for positions on our team, respond by email to jobs@msnbc.com jobs@msnbc.com . Please include the name of the position you are applying for in the subject line.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=844577

Company: msnbc.com
    Position:
    Editorial Supervisor, Sports
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    November 30, 2007
    Job ID: 844582

Description:
    MSNBC.com is seeking an experienced Editorial Supervisor, Sports to join our team in Seattle. The job duties include, managing the daily production of MSNBC.com’s sections, edit wires, partner and staff stories, informative headlines and captions, and placing stories on appropriate cover pages. Must have good news judgment, be focused on the casual news reader and the Internet audience, and make smart decisions in a fast-paced environment. Must work well as a team with writers, photo editors and others. Must provide leadership and direction to reporting employees. Will be involved in developing story ideas and coverage for day-to-day and long-range planning. Take initiative in breaking news situations; devise and implement plans for coverage. Conceive, manage, and execute large scale projects; direct resources and coordinate with other departments. Act as role model for other writer/editors, contribute to problem solving, and help set the tone for the newsroom.

The position requires a BA or BS in liberal arts or journalism, or equivalent experience. Must have at least five years working for online news organizations as a producer or editor, and 2-3 years management experience. Also requires excellent sports news judgment, creative and strong idea person, understanding of capabilities of Internet, excellent communication skills, flexibility and the ability to collaborate effectively with others.

To apply for positions on our team, respond by email to jobs@msnbc.com jobs@msnbc.com jobs@msnbc.com . Please include the name of the position you are applying for in the subject line.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=844582

2. Pickle_Juice

Pickle_Juice Member

Hi!!! Does anybody know if writing experience is okay to substitute for experience as a producer or editor??

Thank you in advance!!

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I thought you were happily in place as a Dolphins beat writer, Pick. What's wrong - didn't get the paid trip to Wembley?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In your case, absolutely... desiring NFL experience is the best

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So...is the legend really back or is that a bored SportsJournalists.commer?

6. this could turn into a pretty good gig down the road when MSN.com decides to boot Foxsports.com and go in-house for its sports coverage.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I believe MSNBC.com and NBCSports.com are teaming up (a logical move, I guess).

8. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

Anyone have a guess at what pay might be for these two Web positions?

From what I hear, Seattle's not cheap. And it seems writers who move to the Web are getting pretty good $$$. Does that hold true for editors too?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For a lot of these companies, the $$$ is a lot better than you would get at a newspaper...

As far as Seattle is concerned, both papers there are notorious for offering shit wages because they think they can get people for pennies on the dollar because it's considered a desirable place to live... To a lesser extent, the Denver papers have kind of done the same thing. "What, you're making $60K? We'll offer you $45K to come here..." To be fair, both places have had some level of success doing it...

So if you want to get to Seattle and make a decent wage, this might not be a bad way to do it...

10. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Anyone hear anything on this?

11. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

I'm still interested hearing anyone's insights on salaries for these two positions.

I understand the previous comments about the Seattle market, but MSNBC can't be held to the standard of the city's newspapers -- or can it?

I would think Web dollars would come into play here for these jobs. I'm just wondering what those Web dollars would amount to.

12. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

Good question as to what these jobs pay. I would guess more than similar newspaper jobs but less than what Web jobs used to pay when things were more free and easy.

Which makes me wonder what mlb.com pays a guy like Jim Jenks who just have had a good salary in Philly, or Richard Bush from the Miami Herald, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted