1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2 Michigan men arrested on terror plot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. We already know there's at least 2 extremists there.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Actually, that's a disturbingly effective target. A lot of the country is very comfortable with the idea that terrorism is a NYC problem and most people will never get anywhere near there.

Or they think this relates to planes and most people aren't flying anywhere.

Blow up a Wal-Mart in the middle of nowhere and people suddenly have the chilling realization it can happen anywhere.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I think I follow.

I was under the impression judges had the power to hold without bond.  His or her discretion.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bomb all the Wal-Marts![/JR]

And judges hate getting overturned on appeal. Bail has to be somewhat proportional to the actual charges. A judge isn't gonna get away with no bail for someone who shoplifts a Pez.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah. Exactly what's the problem with bombing any and all Walmart's?

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Dools, I have a criminal defense attny. in the family. Some of this person's clients have been held without bail on charges like theft. But I'll run it by this person tonight...

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Based on what I heard earlier today on MSNBC I don't think they were targeting Wal-marts for attack. They have admitted to buying something like 600 throw-away cellphone and giving the chips from them to somebody. It sounds like they were hitting Wal-marts all over that part of the country and buying as many phones as they could.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

When I read the 600 phones thing, that's what I thought about first -- those damned trac(k?) phones.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, it didn't strike me that Wal-Marts were the targets so much as the place where they could get stuff they needed. But I agree, take a hit at middle america -- a town the size of, I don't know, Knoxville, and they'd really shake the country up.

As for the bond, $200,000 might be a gracious plenty. I mean, if you post bond for these two guys, aren't automatically a suspect as an accomplice? I'm thinking they're staying put.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Damn, I think I had to cover the Ali guy. I'm not totally sure if it's the same person or not. I don't think Houssaiky is a common Arab name, but I'm not up on my Arabic.

But he graduated in 2004, which would make him 20 this year.

He was a big fullback in high school, and was listed as a D-I prospect. But a quick google search shows he isn't playing football at any level right now. Way too slow.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Let me guess their religion - muslim right?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Supposedly that kid was honorable mention all-state as a senior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.