1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2 killed, 7 injured in church shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Many of them "get the idea" however I would gather that 99.9999 percent of them are smart enough to not act out on this idea.

2. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

This is what it's coming to: whack jobs inspired by political hatred as a basis to murder. I'm guessing that's why Fox News hasn't touched this story much....the alleged killer's motives is right down the strike zone of most of their viewers.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Another update...

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/jul/28/woman-accused-shooter-hated-anyone-different-him/

It seems like every time we see a tragedy like this, the shooter is someone who obviously needed help and didn't get it. How can cops in some situations not order people to see professionals, and lock them up if they don't? I know that would be hard to legislate, but something has to be done. If we're going to keep letting these sick people buy guns -- which, for no good fucking reason, we will -- then we need to get them help when we have opportunities.

When this guy talked about blowing his wife's brains out, something should have been done. His name should have gone in a system, and he should not have been allowed to have guns. We are no more violent than any previous generation, but we have more access to the kinds of weapons that can do serious damage. Something has to be done.

This was a Sunday morning in a church designed for open-minded, easy-going people. Reasonable, educated, diverse people attended this church, which is located in a well-to-do part of town, just a few miles West of downtown/UT. I know this because I was raised in Knoxville, and some of my parents' friends attend this church. My mother's secretary attends this church, but she wasn't there for the play. Fellow professor friends of my mother attend this church. These are open-minded people, and many of them will still probably pray for this sick man.

Maybe this couldn't have been prevented, but more could have been done.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Works for me.

6. astronomychal

astronomychal New Member

I'm a member of a UU church. It's tough to reconcile the possibilities that are circling the minds of our members. It could've been our church. It could've been in front of our children. It could've ended the life of one of our close friends. Beyond all of the hypotheticals, it was a congregation like ours and there are two less people willing to advocate for love and peace in our society... all because they were willing to advocate for love and peace in our society.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'll see your Pat Robertson bet and raise you a Westboro Baptist Church protest.

8. astronomychal

astronomychal New Member

I had almost forgotten about those kooks. I hope they don't get any bright ideas when the victim funerals take place. Sadly enough, it hardly appears unlikely.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Whackjob killer pleads guilty, will spend life behind bars:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/feb/10/church-shooter-pleads-guilty-letter-released/

And if you want to read something scary, take a look at his "manifesto:"

http://web.knoxnews.com/pdf/021009church-manifesto.pdf

10. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Wow, that letter is shockingly scary. It certainly gives insight to his thought processes, and I'll bet he's still pretty proud of himself. Terrifying to think how many people think like him.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Execution.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

slowly

Draft saved Draft deleted