1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2-for-1 circulation?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Jul 5, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

don't know how long this has been going on because i rarely buy a copy of the dallas morning news in a store but came across this when i bought a sunday paper today. wasn't that long ago that the dmn went to $3 on sunday but this morning it was $5 for a package of 2 sunday papers. couldn't just buy 1 copy. supposedly you make up for the extra $2 because you get twice the coupons or you can split the cost with a neighbor.

are other papers doing this? and it seems like a bogus way to increase circulation because i can't see a whole lot of people splitting the cost so 1 person pays yet the dmn gets to count 2 papers sold.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Sounds like some paste-eater's idea of how to increase revenue without actually doing anything.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Awesome. One for me and one for my dog to shit on.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

What an absurdly stupid idea.

5. GoDeacs

GoDeacs New Member

$3 for the Sunday paper? Are you freakin' kidding me?

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting the Dallas Morning News might try to manipulate the circulation numbers? Zounds!

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Most people just go to the rack, put in $3 and grab as many papers as they want.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How'd you know?

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Or, of course, you can read it for free on the internet and spend the $3 on a latte.

10. "I'm shocked -- shocked! -- to hear that manipulation of circulation numbers is going on in here!" (tipping hat to Claude Rains)

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

This is one of the dumbest ideas in a long, distinguished history of dumb ideas by newspaper publishers. Just absurd on all levels.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Had never heard of this before. We can't get people to buy one paper, so we're trying to get them to buy two. "Save one for later in the day!"

Draft saved Draft deleted