1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2,880 examples of why raising a daughter is not easy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

As I said earlier, I don't think they are too be blamed - at least not from the male population.
    As far as whose at fault for creating the debauchery of this site, then I think it is 50/50 between the girls and boys.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I bet more often than not it's another girl taking those pictures.

I've seen similar shit like that tons of time, granted not with girls nearly as hot as those, and not with anyone willing to engage in those same positions with me either. But that's just shit some girls do when they're letting loose. A lot of the times it's just posing, with no further escalation, for those involved or for those watching.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

No offense Cadet, but look at the photos again. Boys aren't behind 90 percent of the cameras. It's girls shooting shots of their friends. This is women objectifying each other, not men objectifying women.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In the next decade, there are gonna be some employers who are gonna hafta look at some job candidates and balance excellent GPA in the classroom with excellent T and A on the Internet.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That's how it looks from here, too. I blame Girls Gone Wild.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

By guns, do you really mean schlongs?

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I don't see girls who are "experimenting with their sexuality" or "just having fun with friends".

I see girls who have such low self-esteem that they believe the only way they can get a man (which they have been told is the main objective in life) is to give what they have also been told men want: 24/7 sex, and it's better if it's girl-on-girl. Hell, if I listened to you guys on this thread and actually believed you, I'd think that's what y'all want.

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill here. The pictures exist, enjoy them if that's your thing (poor kittens). I'm just saying the causes of this phenomenon aren't limited to the girls.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I think I would agree with most of this.
    While I was enjoying the pictures, especially pages 65-68, it dawned on me that most of the girls in the picture are at parties or there are guys in the background. So, obviously they are seeking attention. I am sure there are some who are truly lesbians, or bi-curious and I am sure there are some that just like to mess with the guys and have a high self-esteem, but most girls I've dated have low self-esteems and would do anything to get a guy's attention.
    I also don't agree that I should feel sorry for the kittens.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Like I said, I blame Girls Gone Wild. This generation of young women grew up with the GGW infomercials late night, saw it and knew what it was about. And like you said, GGW tells any young woman who sees it the wrong message.

Women didn't start up GGW. Some guy did. And now girls who grew up with it are acting out on it, sometimes not while in the presence of men, but in dorm rooms and apartments on college campuses after a girls night out.

Just my own theory, nothing more. I agree with what you say.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree with Junkie that this is more of a cultural thing, though that may be what Cadet was getting at. I can't answer Junkie's questions because it has been awhile since I've been on a college campus larger than 1,500 students, but at the high schools I cover I see girls wearing these outfits all the time and it is strange.
    I remember thinking the girls I went to high school with wore scandulous clothing, but they look like old maids compared to what the girls wear now (dammit). I kind of wonder if we are going through a little bit of the '60s again, what with sexual freedom, though with protection this time because of the fear of disease.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I suspect this will be contrary to popular belief ... but I think a lot of people who didn't see this all over campus when they were in college will find it hard to believe that many of these girls tend to be total prudes in the bedroom.

The poor kittens may disagree ... but I think, for many of these girls, this behavior is not about sex. It's about partying. There's a distinction there that I think a lot of us (especially us guys) might not see (or agree with), but it's there.

It IS a game of attention, it's a tease ... but it's not usually about sex. It's not foreplay, or anything like it. It's not "bi-curious" (a trend term if I ever heard one.) ... For some, it's about attention or low self-esteem. For others, it's just something to do, inspired by a steady diet of "WARNING" commercial openings on late-night TV, and enhanced by a hyped-up celebrity culture that celebrates the Paris Hiltons of the world.

And yes, Junkie, I think many college-age guys are desensitized to cleavage busting out and thongs showing from hip-hugger jeans, so the girls are starting to do more to get their attention. And with the advent of MySpace/Facebook and instant photos from their cell phones, now there's an avenue to show it off.

And again, it's all being celebrated.

Not just by college students, or by Girls Gone Wild producers ... but by middle-age moms buying Star magazine, by TV executives who give Paris and Nicole their own show, by anyone dumb enough to buy Fergie's album (let alone who signed off on making that piece of shit).

Baby Boomers are as much a part of the problem as my generation -- everyone's eating this up, not just the youth. How many people do you know who have read more about Brad and Angelina's baby than the war in Iraq? I bet each of us know a hundred people like that, maybe more.

This is where we're at, brought about by fifty years of rebellion from Victorian ideals, then from free love, from a government that deceived us for the first time, from a decade of Reaganomics and "Greed is good", from a government that turned sex into a Tonight Show punchline, and from another government that inexplicably had to lie to get us into a war.

So yes, there are many causes. And it goes far beyond these girls. This is who we are -- like it or not, this is us. This is what we've seen, this is what we've learned, and this is what we've become.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

"Honey? I know you're going off to college now and it should be a great experience for you. One thing, though. Your mom and I know you'll be going to parties and drinking lots of grain alcohol punch out of a garbage can....

"But if you can, please avoid getting so drunk that you pose for pictures with your head buried in some other girl's boobies. And, if by some chance you do that, please make sure there are no digital cameras around. And, if there happen to be, could you please make sure the pictures don't wind up in Facebook?

"Think of your poor grandma's bad ticker, dear."

Draft saved Draft deleted