1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$2.46 !!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Re: $2.47 !!!

I sort of disagree.

Americans were just starting to warm up to the idea of using less, if not by going out and getting more fuel efficient car, then by:

1. Driving less - combining errands, deciding they could walk 2 blocks, deciding they didn't need to go.

2. Carpooling - if not to work, then with their buddies to the local links or watering hole.

3. Driving slower - and thinking about how they drive - less accelerating down hills only to brake for the car in front of them.

Now all that starts to go out the window. Psychologically, you start to think: At 2.47, I can afford to relax and be lazy again.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I don't think this price reduction will put a huge dent in the recent consumers' choices. People who were starting to cut back will keep cutting back. They've seen what the prices can do, and I think they'll be hedging their bets in a different direction for the time being.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Exxon less than 1/4 mile from my house is still $3.09 for regular.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I saw it last night for $2.39 on my way to a football game. There's a station on I-64 near Louisville that has it for $2.29.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I just did the math as I looked over last month's finances. In the past 15 days I've spent $79 in gas. That's more than I've spent on groceries. Damn.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Now that's some funny shit. Sad. But effin funny.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's $2.51 at a few places around here, but you can't get anywhere near the pumps.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Lowest in the region is 2.41, but lowest that I've actually seen myself is 2.49. This time last year it was 3.17.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, we're just under $3 here... They made a big deal on the news about one place that was at $2.89...

I think they may stay down for awhile. Gas companies know that if the price goes up much more, there will be more of a demand to look into other means for fuel and whatnot...

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Update: Went down a penny at Valero.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've seen it as low as $2.41 in these parts.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Checked (fill in your town or state)gasprices.com, there's a couple of places near here selling at 2.39. Cheapest in the state is 2.30 last I looked.

Draft saved Draft deleted