1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2/4 Meet the Press - John Edwards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Feb 4, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

I am getting dizzy from this hypocrite changing his position mid-stream.
    Typical Clinton strategy.
    Talk in generalities and confuse your audience, pander to both sides of an issue, so they're not sure what you mean.

And, now, when asked to explain why in 2004, he still said he made the right choice to vote for war, he said, wellll....it was in the middle of a long political campaign, wife was just diagnosed with breast cancer.
    So, you made your choices and wanted to lead the country off of it, but now are saying it was stupid, while you were telling everyone you were the best to run the country?
    This man is an idiot.
    Go chase another ambulance.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: 1/4 Meet the Press - John Edwards

He'd be better off never changing his opinions. Then he could be president for two terms!

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Word.

4. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

When people learn more about complex subjects, sometimes they change their minds about things. It comes with being an adult.

That being said, I agree it is annoying to watch Edwards and Hillary sometimes. You can tell they are trying so very hard to pander to both sides of an issue and not be pinned down on positions. They're constantly calculating what they should say and how it will poll instead of just taking a stand.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You know, I expect this kind of thinking on a non-journalism board I frequent. But here we are journalists -- our newspapers make corrections, write stories that take the opposite tack of previous ones after we find new information, and sometimes we completely alter our entire marketing and presentation philosophies once we find that existing ones no longer work. And yet there are those here who will bash a politician for changing his mind? If we had a colleague in the newsroom who was incapable of changing his mind, who stuck to one outlook in spite of all evidence to the contrary, we wouldn't value his opinion much. Yet some of us think pure stubbornness is a virtue in politics? Since when?

7. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Colbert is the Mark Twain of our time.

When the president decides something on Monday, he still believes it on Wednesday - no matter what happened Tuesday."....

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He's tapdancing as fast as he can. He has certain built-in advantages -- most notably, his basic
    geographic base, which has been gold for the last two winners. Think he's transparent, vapid,
    and far too liberal for my tastes, but believe he'll last a long time in this race.

If the dems had a non-senator with some pizzaz, this race would be shaped differently . . . but they don't . .. and it's not.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Frank, my point is he changes his mind constantly to what he thinks will suit him the best.
    The people, in 2002, think the war is a good idea? He's for it.
    In 2004, it's still fashionable to support the troops while slamming the war. So he's still for it.
    It's 2007, now the war is being derided on all sides. He's now against, but was only still for it in 2004 because he was exhausted by the campaign and his wife's breast cancer.
    It's ridiculous how he bases his own beliefs on polls.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Edwards almost had me fooled four years ago.

Hypocritical, empty-suit fraud.

11. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Welcome to politics, jackasses.

Empty suit, umm that's what W was in 2000 and is now. The man has no worldly curiosity and it's costing us dearly.

I agree that a non-Dem Senator with a personality would cruise to presidential victory. I think Mark Warner would have fit that mold. If Bill Richardson can raise money he can be the kind of uniter this country needs.

He has the foreign policy experience needed along with fiscal responsibility that translates well into the Democratic mold - you know one that doesn't include budget deficits which in case anyone forgot W inherited a quarter trillion dollar surplus and has turned into a quarter trillion dollar deficit.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

Edwards will not be alone in tap dancing around/through issues this time. With only about the middle 20 percent up for grabs, both sides will tailor their points to catch as much of that as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted