1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1st Rule of Upper East Side Mommy Club: Talk About Upper East Side Mommy Club

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, May 30, 2015.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's sick. At that level of wealth – the One-Percenters – it's all about status.
    That kind of social climbing is unhealthy, and this article touches on only part of it.

Does anyone ever really need a 25,000-square-foot house? How about 35,000?
    In the end, what do you do with all of it? Much of it ends up unused, or even walled off.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Clarissa Wagner: For months we worked like maniacs to get Chloe into Knowles. Extra tutors, the interviews, the tests...
    Detective Lennie Briscoe: Sounds like a lot of stress.
    Clarissa Wagner: Valium helps.
    Detective Lennie Briscoe: Not on you; on your daughter.
    Clarissa Wagner: Well, you're never too young to learn how to cope.
    Detective Ed Green: It's only kindergarten.
    Clarissa Wagner: It's not just kindergarten - it's the rest of her life. The right prep school leads to the right college, the right job, the right career, the right husband. It's a carefully calibrated ladder. And if you miss a step - excuse me, that's the caterer, I'll be right back.

Donny in his element and HC like this.
  4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

One day, she'll be the best-dressed corpse in the boneyard. Money and power still can't solve the fact that ya can't take it with ya.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

How valuable is "status" when the other 99.99999999 percent of the country thinks you're just an asshole and is laughing at you?

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm not sure they realize anyone outside their social circle even exists ... other than in a service capacity.

Donny in his element and Batman like this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The rest of the world are peasants. Peons. Sounds like some NYC crime needs to flow up there and do some carjacking and bag snatching.

Never thought a bag would cost more than a car though. I wonder what they are made of. Specially-treated cows? Elephants? PETA should investigate these Birken fuckers. That could be the first step in bringing these mommies down. Then, throw blood on them.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, I still thought $500 or $1,000 was an outrageous price for a bag, though that's still understandable
    for the well-heeled set. But $10,000 ... or $30,000? For a bag? Just another ostentatious display of wealth.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm all for doing whatever you want with your money. You earned it, so enjoy it. One day, before I die, one of my life's goals is to actually wipe my ass with a hundred dollar bill.
    But, damn, is that ever wasteful. You could do so much more with that money, even from a selfish perspective and not a charitable one.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I never understood why guys paid $10,000 for a suit by XXX designer.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This kind of money is a LOT of one dollar bills. Which, ahem, are useful at certain establishments.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Laundromats, amirite? Them change machines are bandits!

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted