1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

19th Duggar is born

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 11, 2009.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Michelle has got to be getting older. Don't the risk of birth defects and prematurity go up when you reach your late 30's/40's?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If the Duggars were the ones actually doing the physical work of raising the kids, yeah, it's not our business. But to me, making the older kids take care of them is a major issue.

If they want to have kids, then they should be up for the 2 a.m. feedings and diaper changes as well, and not outsource the job to one of the siblings.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I can understand this point, actually. I sure as hell would resent it if I were one of the older siblings.

Then again, the older they get, the closer they are to getting the fuck out and starting up their own clown corps.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The risk of Down's Syndrome goes way up after the mother turns 40, for example.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This was how kids were raised in America until the baby boom, affluence and female birth control.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that was because the parents were busy working on the farm and needed the assistance in order to survive, rather than continue having kids because of their religious beliefs and the 15 minutes of fame (or longer) that a reality show brings.

Plus the mortality rate of infants and children were much higher, so the odds of them surviving weren't as good. If a family had 19 living kids, it was because they were extremely lucky that none of them died from smallpox, or typhus, or any number of diseases.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not sayin' I'd raise a family in that way or in that much volume. Just sayin' that it's a throwback, not an abomination. Members of "the greatest generation" were for the most part raised that way.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have always wondered if she will have some kind of mental breakdown when she can't make babies anymore. Can you be addicted to being pregnant? She has been pregnant for roughly 14 years of her life.

Draft saved Draft deleted