1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1991 Cotton Bowl...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

One of many Bears in the recent years. The 1990s version Carimi.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In this case that morality came from the office of the UM president, who apologized the next day and began an attitude clean-up campaign.

You are right, though, this stuff used to happen so much more regularly and to no negative effect. Every time someone in the NBA gets suspended for stepping off the bench, I think of the insane Bird-Laimbeer or Mahorn-Barkley or Whoever-Whoever fights of the '80s and early '90s. I loved those. Never did attack anyone on the basketball court after witnessing the pros do it, either.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It was jarring for me to see those refs staring at Hill going "pew pew pew" with his hands, and not seeing them throw a flag. I've been conditioned.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not often that you can say a 46-3 game was actually much more on-sided than the score indicates. But you can with that one. Could've easily been 66-3 if Miami didn't seem to be intentionally trying to set a record for most personal foul penalties.

Texas took as humiliating a beatdown as you'll ever see that day.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I had forgotten that Miami broke the Cotton Bowl single-game penalty record by the seven minute mark in the second quarter.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Did anyone notice this guy on the U sideline?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hooligan is a anti-Irish slur.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They just named their locker room after him, no doubt because he paid for it.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/23082925/miamis-new-locker-room-named-after-dwayne-the-rock-johnson/23082925/miamis-new-locker-room-named-after-dwayne-the-rock-johnson

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Funny thing is Texas is the team that went into that game with national championship aspirations. No team has ever had such hopes washed away quite so emphatically.

That was the season when they should've just skipped naming a national champion, as NOBODY had a worthy resume. I believe Miami was clearly the best team in the nation that year, yet somehow ended up with two losses.

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I will never see anything as beautiful as George Teague catching Lamar Thomas and stripping the ball. Too bad that play was called back.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

Apologies for my ignorance... and I'm half Irish. Yikes...

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Was there a lot of bad blood leading up to this game that spurred Miami to make it all but a street fight?

Or were the Hurricanes just pissed off for losing two games they had no business losing, considering the level of talent they had?

Draft saved Draft deleted