1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1991 Cotton Bowl...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Aug 15, 2013.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

If this game was played now, no way Samuels comes back after that hit on the first kickoff return. He definitely looked like he was knocked out.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I remember the game, not the broadcast.

That first link was worth it just for Mike Francesca in a "what the fuck is he doing anywhere near there" moment at around the 6:30 mark.

"Nyse ta be heeeeeeah."

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Portending his stellar Bears' career.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Human
    Fucking
    Turnstyle

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Actually, very, very few of his players there got into any sort of serious trouble. One major off-campus fight I can recall, when some drunken frat kid wrote a check with his mouth he couldn't back up. They did play with a certain swagger, and got a lot of penaties, some just because of that reputation.

His 2000 OSU team did the same thing to Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl that his Miami team did to Texas in the Cotton Bowl. Simply destroyed them. And a surprising number of players from that team went into coaching, or went on to earn post-graduate degrees.

I don't know anything about Dennis' relationships with the media while he was in the NFL because that's a different animal. But I think you'd have a hard time finding any beat reporter who covered one of his college teams that didn't generally find him easy to work with, that he didn't hold a grudge, players were always accessible, and his practices were always open.

6. Humungus

Humungus Member

thanks for stopping by, dennis.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That 2000 Fiesta Bowl got ugly. T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chad Johnson were on that
    team.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not to mention Erickson was in charge at Miami when his players perpetrated the greatest fraud in the history of the Pell Grant program, receiving more than $400,000 in aid under false pretenses.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That 30/30 was not a good indicator of all the shenanigans that went on
    at The U.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

It's sad, I guess, where the off-the-field stuff that went on doesn't really surprise me.

However, what I saw ON the field in that massacre of Texas was something I had never seen before, nor since.

Hooligans is a word that comes to mind, watching it... time to go watch it again.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Did anyone else notice that Nantz and Brant didn't seem to have any problem with Hill's celebration?

Once, college football was a little bit more fun. Somewhere, the prudes and moralists came in.

Draft saved Draft deleted