1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1985 World Series Trivia Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Apr 26, 2007.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Flowers? No. But surely the best fans in baseball would realize that he is fallable, and that the blame truly lied with their team for the numerous reasons previously listed.

In fact, this guy might have sent a death threat or two.

[​IMG]

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Great question. IIRC, Dane Iorg pinch-hit for the pitcher. If a double-switch wasn't made, he was in the 9 hole. Which would make Orta, what, the 5th or 6th hitter?

Did the Royals have to pinch-hit for the 5 hitter?

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The point might -- might -- be valid if game 6 were game 7. But the plays screwed up by Porter and Clark were fairly routine. But it doesn't affect the way STL laid down in Game 7, or the fact that they couldn't close the damn thing out at home. Letting that series get back to KC was their biggest mistake.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I was three.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Of course, that runner never came home. Jim Sundberg bunted into a force play at third base, so it's almost like that play was irrelevant. So the Royals basically gave that out right back to the Cardinals.

And I'm presuming that Cardinals fans never bring up the other disputed (and largely forgotten) call in Game 6, when Frank White was mistakenly called out after stealing second right before Pat Sheridan got a hit. Royals missed out on a run there.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But not the runner who made it on because of Denkinger's call at first base. He was the one forced out at third base.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, the guy is still on second base is there because Jack Clark dropped a pop up and then singled to get on. Without the Denkinger call, Sundberg would then have to hit away with the runner at first. Maybe he singles and there are runners on first and second base just the same.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But we're not sure about that, are we? How can we say what would or would not have happened definitively? Quite simply, we can't.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But we wouldn't know for sure. What we do know is that the Cardinals didn't show any mettle, any resolve and put on one of the most memorable meltdowns in our lifetime. Any team that gives up or gets rattled that easily probably doesn't deserve to win.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, they rolled over, as the pop up, the passed ball, the single and Game 7 showed us.

And don't expect me to bite on other remarks, I know how you work. I'm not even going there.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ah, Mr. Bartman. The poster child for why you should never, ever, ever, ever, ever interfere with a ball in play.

But as much as Bartman was an idiot for what he did, so were the Cubbies for not hitting worth a lick in Game 7.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

22 years later you fuckers are relieving the minutest details of a World Series that most people have long forgotten.

Proof positive there is no fucking intelligent life in flyover country.

Draft saved Draft deleted