1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1985 World Series Trivia Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Palmer was the third guy in the booth....

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Reggie Jackson was in the booth too was he not?

3. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

Broncos beat the Chiefs that day in Arrowhead.

Who threw out Game 7's first pitch?

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I would guess the Missouri governor, but it's probably wrong. I know the Kauffman's threw out the pitch for the first game.

5. Sorry, Junkie, but I have to take issue with this.

I've been to many a Cardinals game over the years, and there's just as many knowledgable baseball fans there as there have been at virtually every other park I've attended. There are also as many morons talking on their cell phones, roaring over a fly ball to short center or yakking to their buddies and not paying attention to the game at all.

But they believe their own bullshit. That's why they give standing ovations to every Tom, Dick and Harry wearing Cardinal red, for everything from a grand slam to taking a dump on the dugout steps. Can you think of any other fan base in baseball that has to keep reminding the world that they're the best?

I don't think you can point to one group of MLB fans and say they're No. 1. Some are better than others. Cardinals fans, at a base level, probably are in the upper half -- better than, say, Devil Rays fans or Nationals fans. But are they better than Yankees fans? Red Sox fans? Cubs fans? Dodgers fans? No. Nor are those fans better than Cardinals fans.

If they would just shut the fuck up about how great they are, maybe we could get a better assessment.

PS -- If you think they don't cheer against other teams, you might not have been around a Cardinals-Cubs series. Or don't remember the "Mets are Pond Scum" era.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Don't think so.......

Michaels, McCarver, Palmer are all the ones I remember.

7. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

The Star's Joe McGuff threw out the first pitch.

Reggie Jackson was the sideline/clubhouse guy.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Lyman, we might rarely agree on politics, but we will always agree on this. Great post.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

And I'll third it.

Christ. They still hold slapdick Tom Lawless in high regard for hitting a pair of home runs in a Series they lost/. I love St. Louis the city, but STFU already about the effing Cardinals.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

They also sent Denkinger loads of hate mail and death threats. But they're the best fans in baseball.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I believe Posnanski wrote a column several years ago calling out the Cardinals fans for being so full of it. The headline was priceless: "Cardinals fans root for themselves"

12. micman305

micman305 New Member

More trivia...
    Jorge Orta, who was involved in the play Denkinger blew, was the pinch hitter for a pinch hitter. Who was he pinch hitting for?

Draft saved Draft deleted