1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1985 World Series Trivia Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Apr 26, 2007.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

If Jack Clark or Darrell Porter catch the foul popup from the batter after the Denkinger call, the game is over.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

DD, just to set the record straight, there are a few (although admittedly a minority) Cardinal fans who don't rest the result of the 85 Series on the Denkinger call. It certainly didn't help matters, but the Royals did what they had to do to win and took advantage of their opportunities, while what the Cardinals were doing was costing them the series.

I will say the Game 7 collapse, embarrassment and outright quitting by the Cardinals was about as depressing a sporting event I have ever witnessed. 85 is better to forget than to remember.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I was four. First World Series I remember is 1987, mostly just Ozzie Smith's backflips.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The 1985 World Series is one of my all-time favorites. God I loved watching the Cardinals choke like dogs. The 1987 Series is up there too.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

thanks, Bubbler. Let me send you a Captain_Kirk doll you can stick pins in as well.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Why? You have eternal scoreboard over me — a Brewers fan. The Brewers can't even exact revenge on the Cardinals in the World Series, the best they can ever do is beat the Cardinals in the NLCS.

ONE MORE REASON WHY THE BREWERS SHOULD STILL BE IN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE! FUCK YOU AND YOUR MILWAUKEE BRAVES NOSTALGIA BUD SELIG AND FELLOW BABY BOOMERS!

7. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

More trivia:

1. Name the three guys in the TV booth for ABC during the '85 Series.

2. Earlier that final Sunday, the Chiefs lost a game across the Sports Complex parking lot. Who beat 'em?

3. What was the ABC play-by-play man's five-word description of the final out?

4. What Royals fan skipped classes the next day and began drinking at 11 a.m.? (Me.)

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Say what?

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

They're the best fans in baseball, their billboards even say so. They would understand, I'm sure.

10. Of course they're the best fans in baseball. Just ask one of them sometime, if you've got a spare 15 hours.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Great post! First laugh of the day!

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

1. Tim McCarver, Al Michaels, ... uh ...
    2. Seattle?
    3. To Motley ... for the title!
    4. I was 8. My parents wouldn't allow me to drink, but my Paw was drinking champagne that night like it was water.

Draft saved Draft deleted