1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1985 World Series Trivia Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Apr 26, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Saw one of those behind-the-game type pieces on Ozzie Smith the other day and that play was replaced a few times. I think the only worse officiating I've seen was Eric Gregg, and the only reason I think that was worse is that it was prolonged over the course of an entire game.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

God help me for knowing this......

3. [​IMG]

"Get a life, chef.
    Jesus!"

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Bullshit, 2.5 million Kansans and at least a few hundred thousand Nebraskans also eat it up. ;D

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Our very own Rick Monday moment.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

I actually enjoy watching NYY/BOS play each other..........even from watching it on TV, you just know how much these two teams despise each other, and the fans also.

Same with STL/CHI, KC/STL, NYY/MYM, LA/SF, Cubs/White Sox.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

In many ways, that call was the best thing to happen to St. Louis. It's all people remember.

Hell, I bet even Cards fans don't remember how St. Louis was unable to win two of three at home. Or that the run put on by the bad call never scored. Or about Darrell Porter's passed ball. Or the foul ball Jack Clark whiffed on. Or the way they quit the next night. Or the fact that they needed a collective hot streak to approach the Mendoza line.

All of that goes away with one missed call. Pretty convienent, no?

8. doubledown68

Nah. You've had to hone the argument over the years. Whiny Cards fans are like dandelions. It's a key piece of information.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Good points DD.....it's similar with the Cubs v. Bartman--they don't forget that this happened in Game 6....the Alex Gonzalez error.......the fact that Prior was so pissed after the whole incident, that he hasn't been the same since......

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

At least one electric fan in the clubhouse. Other than that, not much.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Trust me, not all of us have forgotten Alex Fucking Gonzalez. Or Kyle Fucking Farnsworth. Or Mark Fucking Guthrie.

12. doubledown68

Ba zing. But it did wrap up Whitey Herzog's managing career in KC with a strange bit of deja vu.

Herzog was managing Texas in the first game in Kauffman (nee Royals) Stadium history in 1973. The Rangers lost by 11 (12-1), and Herzog was tossed.

He managed KC for a few years, and is even a member of the Royals HOF.

Fast forward 12 years.. Herzog lost his final game in KC by 11 runs, and was tossed.

Draft saved Draft deleted