1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1914 (WWI) vs. 2014 (WW3?)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Vombatus, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Lots of regional conflict going on.

Syria
    Israel - Gaza - Lebanon
    Ukraine
    Iraq
    Afghanistan
    Libya

Unrest in lots of other places.

Pundits comparing 2014 to 1914. Any way this crap spirals out of control and gets more serious, like on a global scale?

I currently don't believe anyone is going to fire a nuke, at least not at the USA. But, you never know...

Regionally, I could see pretty much anyone with the means going off half cocked soon.

Headed toward Armageddon?

At least we have Sheep for at least one more week. Think I will go to church Sunday too.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Maybe not WWIII, but perhaps a return to the constant proxy wars waged during the Cold War.

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

No. The rest of the world largely doesn't care.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In 1914, drunk fans drank Old Style and impatiently wondered what was taking the Cubs so long to win another World Series, for crying out loud.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The only one of these that strikes me as something notably new or different is Ukraine. The Israel/Hamas thing is simply the most recent flareup in a conflict that's been going on seemingly forever. There's nothing new happening in Afghanistan any worse than what the world's become accustomed to there. And the Mideast is the Mideast, there've always been ongoing regional conflicts there, a state of conflict has essentially become accepted as the region's de facto state of equilibrium.

The Ukraine conflict is a bit different because 1) it's in Europe; and 2) is in many respects a little proxy war between the United States and Russia, the world's two foremost nuclear powers (which makes it quite reminiscent of the Cold War era conflicts). You can theoretically make a case for how it could blow up into something far scarier but, NO, I don't think that will actually happen.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Airliner shot down,
    Lotta rumors flying round.
    Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan
    Seems nobody has a plan.

Soviets are no more,
    so now the Ukraine's got a war.
    Putin acting tough,
    We need a break, we've had enough.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If one of the big boys (US, Britain, Russia, etc.) gets involved, things could really escalate. Won't happen overnight, but we might look back on this in hindsight as seeds that started it.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's this kind of thinking that landed us in this mess.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

LOL.

I didn't say "go to church" and "then plan a jihad against a neighbor..." :)

10. Pundits comparing 2014 to 1914 are missing the fact Germany's military strength in comparison to the Allies was stronger in 1914. The Allies were catching up. China and Russia will get stronger compared to the West.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

If the shit hits the fan it will be from one (or more) of the following:

-Pandemic
    -Global economic collapse (we're halfway there)
    -Electromagnetic pulse
    -Solar flares
    -Huge underground volcano
    -Meteor impact
    -Seriously unfriendly alien invasion.

Just saying.

12. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

I would add "moderately unfriendly alien invasion" to the list.

Draft saved Draft deleted