1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

19 Year old Captain of Windsor Spitfires hockey team dies at home

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

The Flames page:

http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=353955

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

That's terrible news ... RIP.

Seems like he had a chance to be pretty nice pro.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Sad, sad day for the Ontario Hockey League family. Mickey Renaud, as my boy Fly said, was going to be a pro. Every time I saw him he was a force, one of my fave players to watch in the league.

Condolences to Mickey's family, the Spits and all those crazy fans at the Barn. He will be missed.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

A contact in Windsor says flags are at half-mast and the Spitfires won't be playing until at least next week.

Ted Nolan left the bench Monday to be with his son who plays for the Spitfires.

Renaud will not be replaced as captain for the remainder of the season. And, as expected, the Windsor community is rallying around his family.

5. My condolences to the Renaud family, loosing a kid is hard, especially like that. Hockey is a demanding sport, it seems like we have lost a lot of athletes as of lately due to medical problems like Thomas Herrion, Damien Nash and now this kid.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Teams across the O will have a moment of silence before their next home game and wear Renaud's number on their helmets for the remainder of the season. A video tribute is also planned that will be shown in rinks that have video boards.

Tough to say when they'll be able to play again, though. I know a kid who was sitting next to him when it happened and teams throughout the league have players from that area who would have known him for years.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Delicate story on the young man.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Hockey/article/305189

8. Flash

Flash Guest

I hate to bring this up ... but please, please, please ... let this be natural causes.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

1200 people at his funeral today.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/306080

Men who exchanged firm handshakes outside St. Anne’s Roman Catholic Church were reduced to tears inside as both Renaud’s uncle and then his coach remembered a kid with a goofy grin who never let his considerable athletic gifts go to his head.

RIP, Mickey. So damn sad.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Wings and Flames will be wearing No. 18 (Renaud's number) on their helmets during today's game.

There will also be a moment of silence before the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted