1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

19 Year old Captain of Windsor Spitfires hockey team dies at home

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 18, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Just saw this in the Star. It's early but I'm assuming heart attack.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/304617

WINDSOR, ONT.–Windsor Spitfires captain Mickey Renaud collapsed and died on Monday. He was 19.

The Ontario Hockey League team says Renaud collapsed at his home in Tecumseh, Ont., before being transported to Windsor Regional Hospital with no vital signs.

He was pronounced dead in the emergency room.

"This is the biggest tragedy in Spitfire history," Windsor GM Warren Rychel said in a statement. "Words alone cannot describe our pain at this time."

Renaud was in his third season with the Spitfires and had 21 goals and 41 points in 56 games this season.

He was a fifth round pick of the Calgary Flames in last year's NHL entry draft.

This is horrible.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Holy Jesus ...

3. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Sudden death in a 19 year old is unlikely to be a heart attack. It should be a heart rhythm disturbance or a structural problem with the area of the heat surrounding the aortic valve. Too sad.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Saw Windsor a while back when they played Brampton. He was a good hockey player.

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Stunning and unbelievably sad news.

I had opportunity to deal with Mickey a few times, seemed like a top-notch kid who was focused and had his head on straight. He was definitely going to be a pro- good size, could skate, no one outworked him on the ice. If he had more "natural" scoring ability he would have been a top two round pick last year instead of a fifth. But at worst he would have been a third/fourth line grinder/PK/energy guy.

Early speculation is a brain aneurysm.

Peace to Mickey Renaud, and to his family, teammates and friends. 19 is way, way too young....

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Fly:

Nice post.

Only saw the kid play once this year--against Brampton at the end of October.

As you said, hardworking kid and a good skater.

RIP and my condolences to the Windsor Spitfires family.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I saw this item on the ESPN ticker. Overwhelmingly sad.

My deepest condolences to the Renaud family and to the Windsor Spitfires organization.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A more recent update from the Toronto Star

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/304617

Flames pro scout Tom Webster is based out of Windsor and says that Renaud played a similar style to Adam Graves. The NHL team believed Renaud had the skill to reach hockey's highest level.

"He was a guy that had a goal in mind and knew that a big part of it was his commitment to fitness," Webster told The Canadian Press. "(He had) the willingness to put the time in regardless of a lot of distractions that may have come his way. ...

"He was going to give himself every chance possible to play (in the NHL)."

Mark Renaud, his father, played 142 NHL games with the Hartford Whalers and Buffalo Sabres from 1979-1984. His uncle, Chris Renaud, spent time in the New York Rangers organization while Webster coached there

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Very sad. RIP.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

How awful.

Prayers and condolences to his family and team.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

One of the things that makes me saddest is when this happens.

I feel just terrible for his family.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

wow.. just, wow

Draft saved Draft deleted