1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

18-game NFL schedule?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_10310155

Having six preseason games back in the 70s must've been insanely tedious. God, I can only imagine.

Hell, four are bad enough. Especially when owners are making fans pay for those two meaningless home games in their season ticket packages.

I say bring it on.

Of course, there are things to work out in the next CBA such as compensating players for the extra two games, and also fitting those games into the current schedule setup. Two of three things would need to happen: Either the bye week or the off-week before the Super Bowl would have to go away, or the NFL would have to start the same weekend as college ball.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They need to do this immediately.

Eliminate the bye week. Eliminate the week in between the conference title games and the Super Bowl.

Start on Labor Day weekend.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The CFL and the founding fathers of the United States Football League say it's about damn time. The founders of the WFL are waiting for the NFL to get around to matching their 20-game schedule.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They're playing 20 already. Four don't count.

I'd rather take two that don't count and make them count.

I like this better than that crazy idea of a 17th game played overseas so nobody loses a home game.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Haven't we suffered enough already?

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Given the propensity for injury in any given game, I'd like to see the union take a real hard line on this.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Increase the roster sizes.

God knows, they're going to need more numbers, if the meatgrinder gets 12 1/2% more time to do its work.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

At the end of an 18-game season, half your team is going be on IR.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I'm guessing this isn't going to happen. I can't imagine the union wants it to at all.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They'd also have increase all those salaries that have been negotiated by 12 1/2 percent or more. Not to mention that ruckus that gets raised regarding signing bonuses and other considerations agents will say were based on a 16-game season.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

How about palying two regular season games, have an off week and then adding just a game to the reg season? You get a break to rest all your starters a=before the season and you still get to expand the season.

Draft saved Draft deleted