1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

17-year-old NZ boy swimmer divorces parents to date 24-year old US gold medalist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jul 3, 2011.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

yet you continue to read it

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'd like to know what hedbust would say about this.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

lolz

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

We get a story here, on a unique issue, and it takes just a few posts before someone remarks how "ugly" someone in the story is.
    I read, JC, in hopes of getting some honest and provoking debate or discussion of an issue.
    In some cases the sophomoric behavior is acceptable but not nearly as often as happens here.

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Because people read it and/or tune into tv stories about it.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

And the immediately starting lamenting how ugly one or both of the subjects in the story are?
    Is that how news is processed? Is that what gets folks off?
    It's piss-poor behavior.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

"provoking debate or discussion" like how illegals come in and make up their own laws? Is that what you're looking for?

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I'm going to Cracker Barrell for brunch.

If you enjoy illegals hollering on the statehouse lawn, like the girl in the AJC link pic, who declares she's "undocumented and unafraid" then I can't sway you girl.
    Good luck on your new house dealy your working on and maybe you can hire an illegal to help you work and get it like you want it to be.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Gosh golly, I hope so! Sadly, I live in Georgia and that dadgum state law means I can't offer someone a living wage unless their ancestors filled out a piece of paper.

Of all the luck...

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you're 24-years-old, a public figure, and you decide to date a 17-year-old boy, you open yourself up to public ridicule -- especially if the relationship leads to a court case.

If this were a 24-year-old guy dating a 17-year-old girl, the criticism would be a lot worse.

So, people half a world away, on an anonymous message board read by a few hundred people are making fun of her. BFD.

Maybe she should try dating someone who's graduated from high school and who doesn't need the permission of his parents and/or a judge to date her.

Draft saved Draft deleted