1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

17 y/o leaving HS to go pro in Europe

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RickStain, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If he gets hurt while playing for cash, why can't he go back and get an education?

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The only real difference is this kid isn't even finishing high school, but frankly, that's largely a result of David Stern's bullshit age limit policy. If the league still allowed the kid to pursue a living here out of high school, I'm sure he would've finished that final year of HS and entered the NBA draft. But, if he's gotta go to Europe first, he's worth a lot more to them if he's willing to give them two years instead of just one token season. Expect to see more of this, especially if the NBA raises the age limit.

I'm a bit surprised the age limit rules haven't taken more heat from a racial angle. Even if it ain't intentional, they certainly do have a disparate racial impact and there is a rather glaring double standard: Nobody gives a shit when the teenage baseball, soccer, hockey, tennis, golf, or racing prodigy signs the million dollar deal, only in the NBA and NFL, the only two leagues with African American majorities, do we have a problem with that and create arbritrary age limit rules to try to prevent it.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

He'll already be richer than us even if things don't work out and there will be nothing preventing him from returning to school where he left off.

Conversely, will all the people who believe they know better than the kid what is in his best interests be willing to chip in and pay him a few million dollars if he blows out his knee at a senior year practice?

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What if a kid skipped out after his sophomore year of HS? After his freshman year of HS? You still gonna defend him? Where's that line?

Again....you wanna skip college? Fine. But AT LEAST finish high school. That seems like common sense to me. And any parent who allows their kid to drop out of high school for this reason needs serious help.

One more year. It's not gonna kill him.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Tyler is a mature and talented player -- that's why he needs to get out of high school ball. I say, Tebow bless him, let him do his thing. If he makes anywhere close to what Brandon Jennings has pulled in, he'll have more than enough money to pay for a college education if he wants one, even if he blows out his knee in two years. There's no sense having his guy taking up space in a classroom when his real career is taking off. If someone in Europe wants him -- even if slimy Sonny is pulling the strings -- he owes it to himself to take the opportunity. Good luck and Tebowspeed.

By the way, Ryan, one more year at high school COULD kill him. Part of the reason he's leaving is because he's so much better than his teammates, opponents are triple-teaming and beating the shit out of him. Tyler faces a much greater risk to his career staying and playing high school ball.

6. JackReacher

Boo hoo. Cry me a river. Opponents are triple-teaming him and beating the shit out of him? Sounds like he needs to man up and deal with it. If NBA scouts see he's being triple-teamed all the time, maybe they won't put so much stock in his falling stat sheet, which is what you're getting at, I think.

Again, where do you draw the line? Would you be OK with a kid with his talents leaving after his sophomore year?

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You can't learn to play in that environment, it stunts your growth as a player.

The line is drawn on an individual basis. A 17-year-old who is obviously a top talent who has no interests besides basketball? Go ahead.

An 16-year-old who thinks he's better than he is and wants to take his shot? Wait it out.

There's no arbitrary, one-size-fits-all rule.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. JackReacher

Who's to say this kid is as good as he thinks he is...like that imaginary 16-year-old you mentioned?

I'm usually onboard with the "there's no one-size-fits-all" rule. Not here, though.

What if the nation's top-ranked sophomore wants to do this and a team overseas would take him? That OK?

9. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

I'm fine with people doing what they think is best for themselves and not criticizing them like I know better.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That's not what I'm getting at, Ryan. NBA scouts know his basketball growth is being stunted being on that team, just like a science genius' growth is stunted if he's in an environment where the teacher has to aim a lecture at a dolt level. We're not talking about someone with pie-in-the-sky NBA dreams -- we're talking about someone already identified as having legitimate No. 1 pick potential. It behooves him to do whatever is necessary to improve and fulfill it. And let's not kid ourselves that Tyler's future is in the classroom. Even if he's bright, his earning potential is miles greater in basketball than anything else.

And since you asked, yes, I would be OK with the kid leaving after his sophomore year.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There's no need to draw lines beyond the lines already established by child labor laws. If there's a demand for your skill, you should be able to exploit that demand and NOBODY should be able to tell you that you can't because it's for your own good.

12. JackReacher

You're kidding, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted