1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

15th anniversary of Pearl Jam's 10

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by fleishman, Aug 27, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

AHAHAHA I was going to point out we're about two weeks away from the 15th anniversary of the release of "Waking Up The Neighbours."

I bought that tape (!!) the first day it came out. And it rocked, horrible one-dimensional lyrics and all. Sue me.

Didn't Metallica's Black Album come out about 15 years ago this week?

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good thing Canada has already apologized for Bryan Adams. ;D [/ducking inevitable tomatoes from our Canadian friends on the board]

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Back on point, all 11 songs on that disc kick ass. I was just listening to a live bootleg today and "Blood" came on ... maybe my least favorite song on that record or certainly one of the ones I forget about ... and hearing it live 15 years later, it kicked fucking ass.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Agreed, that album was solid all the way through.

And yeah, 15 years does make me feel old. I won't bring up the "where was Cadet 15 years ago" because someone will throw a Bryan Adams CD at me.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I believe he was still trying to donate it in mid-1991, when the Robin Hood movie was released, featuring kevin costner as the first ever Valley Boy with a fake Brit accent.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, it would have allowed the tights a better fit. ;D

Seriously, IIRC, Costner didn't attempt an accent. Whether it was arrogance or because he felt he couldn't pull it off, I couldn't tell you.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

15 years already? Man, time flies.

1991, Santa Maria, California. Assistant sports editor of the Santa Maria Times. Life as I know it today was 180 degrees in the other direction. I remember running laps at Hancock College listening to Ten in my Sony walkman. Hey, y'all, remember those?! There was no Internet as we know it today. I firmly believed I'd never ever leave California, and yet now I'll never live there again. George Bush was still president. Magic Johnson was still making triple-doubles. The Red Hot Chili Peppers hadn't gone national yet; they were still "ours," as Californians would like to believe. Years away from Timothy McVeigh, the '93 World Trade Center and 911.

As for Ten, "Jeremy" is one of those videos that kicked my ass, memerized the hell out of me, and it still ranks in the pantheon of emotional storytelling videos.

The memory Ten most elicits is that Hancock College track and me running circles with a walkman. And if it was 1991, I was covering one of the best female juco hoop players in the country, Tania Brunton, whose New Zealand brogue was so thick that I misquoted her once.

"Coach brings out the beast in me," is what I thought she said and what I wrote in the paper.

Few days later she comes up to me and laughs, "Songbird, what I meant is that Coach brings out the beast in me."

"Yeah, Tania, that's what I wrote."

"No, Songbird, beast."

"Yeah, beast."

"No, b-e-s-t."

"Best?"

"Yes, beast"

And we had a good laugh about it because really, it's the same thing. She was a beast on the court.

Funny how a thread can take you back to a specific moment.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Ashamed to say I know this.......Bob Dylan.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

How can anyone forget the Spin Doctors?

[​IMG]

Also released in August of '91.

I liked it only because it wasn't Poison or Warrant.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Little miss, little miss can't be wrong.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It's been 15 years and I ... I ... oh, I'm still alive. I can't believe it's been that long, either, but the fact they still make relevant music let's me know that when it comes to music, I'm still in the know.

12. Downtown Train -- written by Tom Waits -- was 1989.

Draft saved Draft deleted