1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

15th anniversary of Pearl Jam's 10

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by fleishman, Aug 27, 2006.

1. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

For all the Pearl Jam fans on the board, 15 years ago today, "Ten" was released..

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy shit, that makes me depressed. Fifteen years?! Geez.

Back at this time in 1991, who could have imagined hair metal would be dead by the new year? (Hint: Not me!)

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not completely sure, but I think it's 15 years since Michael Bolton went platinum with 'Time Love and Tenderness'....

Someone check and let me know.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Probably just a wee bit over 15 years. That came out and stormed the charts in the spring of '91. And being from Connecticut, I didn't know any better so I bought it. I will now light myself on fire for admitting this.

That said, "Steel Bars" was a good song. Anyone remember which rock legend co-wrote it?

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Well, metal wasn't really totally over by '92, though it was on death's door. It really took until late '92 for Nirvana and Pearl Jam to really take over the rock consciousness.

Most of the songs off Ten didn't get airplay until the summer of '92. I remember telling friends how good Pearl Jam sounded in '91, and they thought I was on another of my Stonesy band crusades, a la, Black Crowes.

And let's not forget, we couldn't have known it in '91, but in '92 were all about to bathe in the refreshing metal waters that were Jackyl.

Greatest ... band ... featuring ... a ... chainsaw ... solo ... ever.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

How about the Rod Stewart song about a train? I am SURE about this...

Also, l am calling Michael Bolton, I think that song was still very hot in August of that year.

7. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

That does make me feel kinda old.

Still my favorite PJ album.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Downtown Train? I think that was '89 or so.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Eww ... poisoning a potentially good music thread with Michael Bolton. :D

This will not end well ...

And 21, I think the Rod Stewart tune was "Downtown Train."

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bolton did indeed have several singles off "Time, Love And Tenderness" chart in '91 and even early '92. I'm almost sure his monstrosity of a cover, "When A Man Loves A Woman," hit no. 1 in early '92.

I'm sure it went at least double platinum in 1991.

I'm also sure 21 is writing this as a complete joke, and I look like a complete fool for taking it seriously.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

My guess, too. Regardless, a PJ thread devolving to Bolton? :-X

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

A quick check of the August Hot 100 reveals that Michael Bolton's Time, Love And Tenderness was not in the No. 1 spot in August 1991. Though a quick check Michael Bolton's wikipedia site ...

(Whoa. Did I just type that? I visited Bolton's wikipedia site? I don't care if my mission was to inform, I deserve to have my scrotum lopped off for that action.)

... indicates that the album was indeed a '91 release.

However ...

The equally insipied and puke-worthy Everything I Do (I Do It For You) was well into its month-plus run atop the Hot 100 countdown.

In related news, Bryan Adams donated his cock to science in early 1991.

Draft saved Draft deleted