1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

150th Anniversary of the Civil War

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

My great-great-grandfather served with a New Hampshire infantry regiment. So did his brother. The brother enlisted on August 23, 1864, and died on September 8 in Virginia, probably without ever having seen combat.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The South needed to be invaded because it illegally seceded from the Union. They brought it on themselves.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And the war was actually a classic case of poor boys fighting a rich man's war. The plantation owners sent the underclass of the south out to die so they could stay rich. Doubt that? Read "The State of Jones."

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

That's rough. My great-great-great grandfather made it through the war unharmed - being captured at Vicksburg, paroled, only to return home and rejoin the fighting - then after the war died of natural causes at the ripe old age of 41! (I really guess it's a good thing he wasn't captured a second time because I'm pretty sure having been paroled and promsing not to fight again, he probably would have been shot).

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing, I was looking up something about Lincoln today because of the anniversary and stumbled upon the fact that John Tyler has two living grandsons.

John bleeping Tyler...who was president in the 1840s.

6. Wow... How old are they?

7. Yeah, slavery was really more of a subplot in the Civil War.
    Seriously.

8. Shoeless Joe

Illegally? Specifically cite the law that was broken, please.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

John Tyler...the 10th president of this country. 10TH. TENTH. 34 presidents ago. I cannot emphasize enough how much my mind is blown.

Per Wikipedia, they were born in 1924 and 1928.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Damn. I'll admit I thought that was dead-wrong, but you're dead-right.

Tyler's 13th (!?) child was a son born in 1853. He had two kids at the ripe old age of 71 and 75 in the 1920s. The last of them still takes care of the old Tyler plantation.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Tippecanoe bitches!

12. Shoeless Joe

The fact that the grandsons of the man who was President from 1841-45 still being alive and kicking is quite amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted