1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

150th Anniversary of Gettysburg Address

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Nov 12, 2013.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Gettysburg, Antietam and Little Bigh Horn are the three best battlefields I've ever been to, because they've been preserved so well. You can see exactly how the battle unfolded and the landscape (especially at LBH) is almost exactly as it was in 1863, 1862 and in 1876. I expect it's the same at Omaha Beach, although I haven't been there yet.

They have done a lot of tree removal, etc., at Gettysburg in an attempt to make the landscape resemble photos from 1863. The sheer ruralness of Western Maryland, and the relative compactness of the battlefield, has helped preserve Antietam. The Medicine Tail Coulee fire in the early 1980s really cleaned out the LBH battlefield site, and also uncovered a treasure trove of artifacts and enabled even more detailed forensic battlefield analysis.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I've been to Omaha and Utah Beach, Pointe Du Hoc and the immediate vicinity as well as the American Normandy Cemetery. Well preserved and erie as hell. Standing on top near Pointe Du Hoc you can really see how the invasion unfolded. A damn good thing the Germans had to guard the enitre coast and were spread out. I was there before Saving Private Ryan came out so the pictures I had in my mind were from The Longest Day and World at War

3. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I was there in the mid-80s with my dad when I was in middle school and I returned this July -- a week after the 150th anniversary -- with my wife and son. It's truly an incredible experience. We stayed right on East Cemetery Hill and arrived in the evening and it was truly eerie to walk around the cemetery and some of the battlefield alone at dusk as my wife was putting my kid to bed. And seeing the whole battlefield the next day - knowing so much more about it than I did as a kid - and knowing exactly what happened at each spot was incredible. I wish we had more than a day -- I'd love to spend a week retracing the footsteps of different divisions on each side.

As for the speech, I never had to memorize it though we did read it and I've read it many times since. I'd put it up there with Lincoln's Second Inaugural, though I think its brevity -- as someone mentioned earlier -- puts it over the top.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd like to see it delivered again in the social media age and see Lincoln destroyed on Twitter afterwards.

Four score and seven years ago I was bored... #suck #beardsareforfags #confederacy

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Went there in September and would love to go back. If I had more time, I would have went down to Antietam.

I spent three days there. I recommend taking a Battlefield bus tour. Combo package of the National Park museum, the bus tour and a short movie was about $35.

After spending a day at the visitor center and bus tour, I did the auto tour myself. Taking the bus tour helped make the auto tour that much better.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"The president gave a very disappointing address, Sean. He only spoke for a couple of minutes, and he spoke about Scores. It wasn't an appropriate place to make a joke about strip clubs."

"Oh, I agree, but the libruhl media won't make mention of that. They'll just be talking about his top hat."

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Matt Taibbi's story covering the speech would compare him to Vlad the Impaler, since he hates republicans and Hitler wasn't born yet. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted