1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

15 seconds from a beat down. Phew.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Confrontation is why the good Lord gave us blades and guns. They are His gift, and we should use them. I sure as shit carried when I lived in Tuscaloosa, and I still carry at least a knife.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Ragu, was this group of thugs known as the Van Buren Boys?

Did you flash the secret sign?

3. Well-played, Carmine.

4. boots

boots New Member

I commend you on your actions. HOWEVER, you forgot several cardinal rules, don't pick a fight and don't pick a fight when you are out numbered. Remember, he who learns to run run away, lives to fight another day.
    But Ragu, your effort is lauded.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Ragu, that was a good thing you did. And I'm sure that woman appreciated it.

Crazy thought here, if you know what company that neanderthal works for, did you think about tipping off the owner about what kind of creep he has working for him/her? Do it anonymously of course. ;) I would think that most companies would part ways with someone like that.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A girlfriend made that same exact suggestion, Rosie. There are about 3 or 4 construction projects going on in the area, which is why there are so many workers around. So it's difficult to figure out where he was from. But I am trying to figure out where the guy was working. If I can, I'm going to make an anonymous call. My friend suggested I do it as "someone who happened to see the whole thing."

For all the people with the "how to fight" suggestions... I am NOT a fighter. I mean, I'll fight if I have to, but it usually is going to involve competitive sports, not me going macho in a random street or bar confrontation. I need to be really careful, because I am not the biggest guy in most situations. I outrun people better than I exchange fists with them. Yesterday, I wasn't trying to pick a fight. I don't know what I was trying to do. I walked out of a store, saw a guy acting like an asshole and when he unzipped his fly, I just reacted. I didn't think. If I had thought about what I was doing, who knows what I would have done. This guy looked like he chews glass.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

You could have just threatened to bend him over and boots him.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have a cool update. It only took the guys in the pizzeria a half a day to find out what site the guy from yesterday was working at, and they got his name from one of the other workers. They've already talked to the owner of the construction company, who is taking it seriously, and they have a call into the local cement and concrete workers union. I'll let you know if I find out anything more about what comes of it. It's so awesome that they nailed this guy, though.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

That's great news. If that union's worth a shit they'll have some serious words with him rather than close ranks to protect an asshole. Here's hoping for the former.

Congrats on making the world a slightly better place, Ragu.

As a skinny guy who occasionally goes to places where Bad People drink beer, I've wondered about what to do should some drunk asshole twice my size decide to make an oragami sculpture out of me. I've always thought I'd punch the fucker in the throat. A dirty thing to do, and I hope I'd never do something like that to a guy my size, but any dude built like a pro wrestler who decides to whup up on the Celtic version of Steve Buscemi that I am...I don't have much sympathy.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Be sure to track him down yourself, stick your tongue out, extend your fingers and put your thumbs to your temple, waggle them to and fro and say "you're gonna lo--o--o--se..."

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nose, Irish.

If you're positive you have to fight the fucker, aim for the nose.

Just about any reasonable-sized male can break someone's nose. And no matter how big and tough you are, the massive pain coupled with the watery eyes and the bloody nose takes the fight out of anyone.

The key is in making it a short punch that would extend past his schnozz if you didn't hit it. You uncork a looper, anyone, even the drunkest drunks, is going to block it or move.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Thanks, Zeke! Should it ever come to that, I'll aim for the nose. The only thing that troubled me about the punch-the-throat theory is that it's possible to kill someone like that if you smash the trachea and they can't breathe. Nose...non-lethal but effective. I think I could sneak in a strong jab. One advantage of being svelte is speed.

Draft saved Draft deleted